Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

connect UPS via Nighthawk X8 AC5300 USB port

16Paws
Tutor

connect UPS via Nighthawk X8 AC5300 USB port

I have an APC UPS that has a USB data output. I want to connect it to my Nighthawk router. How can I access it given that it is not a printer or storage device?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
IrvSp
Master

Re: connect UPS via Nighthawk X8 AC5300 USB port

@16Paws wrote:

The UPS will work without that, but to access it you need a companion PC program, which would require you to connect the UPS to a PC.  Since the UPS is not a 'recording or data device' it just will not work that way. 

So, if I understand you correctly, the USB ports are ONLY for printers or storage devices. No other devices are supported or possible?

Yes, see this LINK from NG.

BTW, USB Flashdrives are usually OK as well. One caveat though. Self powered devices, such as portable External drives and large size Flashdrives may not work. Also very large capacity hard drives as well. Filesystem used might be a hinderance as well. There is a list of 'known' good external drives one can use, but not everything possible is on that list. It is more a 'try it and see' if it isn't on the list.

Not only that but partitioned drives may not work nor a NAS (Netwrok Attached Storage) enclosure probably will not work either.

Although the ports are good, it is a poor imitation of a true  NAS attached to the LAN itself.

And again, the UPS will still work without being attached to a PC, you just can't access the settings without it being attached to a PC and running UPS s/w.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

@16Paws wrote:

I have an APC UPS that has a USB data output. I want to connect it to my Nighthawk router. How can I access it given that it is not a printer or storage device?

The UPS will work without that, but to access it you need a companion PC program, which would require you to connect the UPS to a PC.  Since the UPS is not a 'recording or data device' it just will not work that way.

Message 2 of 6
16Paws
Tutor

So, if I understand you correctly, the USB ports are ONLY for printers or storage devices. No other devices are supported or possible?

Message 3 of 6
IrvSp
Master

@16Paws wrote:

Yes, see this LINK from NG.

BTW, USB Flashdrives are usually OK as well. One caveat though. Self powered devices, such as portable External drives and large size Flashdrives may not work. Also very large capacity hard drives as well. Filesystem used might be a hinderance as well. There is a list of 'known' good external drives one can use, but not everything possible is on that list. It is more a 'try it and see' if it isn't on the list.

Not only that but partitioned drives may not work nor a NAS (Netwrok Attached Storage) enclosure probably will not work either.

Although the ports are good, it is a poor imitation of a true  NAS attached to the LAN itself.

And again, the UPS will still work without being attached to a PC, you just can't access the settings without it being attached to a PC and running UPS s/w.

Message 4 of 6
16Paws
Tutor

Thank you very much for the help. Before posting after doing some searches and reading the router docs, I suspected that the ports were limited. I have other equiptment that has limited use USB ports too (PS3 and Dish Network reciever.) I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something or there was a capability that wasn't documented. I already had a 1TB solid-state HD connected for several months. In the past, I've always had my router and UPS next to my computer such that connections weren't an issue. Now, my modem and router are located elsewhere and I wanted to have them UPS secured. Having 3 UPS units before this one, I've become accustomed to being able to look at information about them from my computer. I wanted to keep that functionality. For now, I'll just have to run the UPS without it or run a USB extention cord (~3m) to my PC.

Again, thanks for the help.

Message 5 of 6
IrvSp
Master

FWIW I had an old AVR UPS sitting around. Our new PC's require the newer PFC UPS's. So I took the old one to a PC set it to defaults and then plugged the modem and router into it. A few times the power dropped and with both the PC's (or iPad's on batteries) I could still access the Internet. Matter of fact, during Hurricane Irma we lost power for days, but the ISP's connection stayed up. The UPS with minimal load was able to work for about 5 hours after power loss. It isn't attached to any PC at all (no need, the other UPS's will let us know when there are power problems).

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7