Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: connecting security camera issues

Ahall1113
Aspirant

connecting security camera issues

I have an Arlo 4 Essential and it will find the wifi but not allow the set up. All of the troubleshoot from Arlo has been done and they have determined that it is due to the firewall settings on my router. I previously had this issue with a nest product and the mygarage sensor and return both thinking it was out of range of the router. There is no "firewall" listed under security on the router page as may have stated before. What settings do I need to change in order for my router to allow me to set up smart home products without issue?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 18
plemans
Guru

What modem/gateway do you have? 

What firmware is on the router? 

what actual issue happens during setup? (details help us more than "will not setup"

Message 2 of 18
Ahall1113
Aspirant

it is an Arris 6190 modem, I have the most recent firmware update on the router as of Saturday but I am at work so I cannot access the device currently. The arlo app finds the wifi, has me enter ssid, attempts to set up camera then gives me an error after about 4 minutes. Typical error code is C223 which is a wifi issue. I spent the better part of 3 days on with Arlo as they had me power cycle devices, reinstall app, all of the basic troubleshooting etc. The camera will connect when I use my phone hotspot so it is not a camera issue or arlo app issue. Every one of the 4 level 2 techs I spoke to have said it is an issue with the firewall settings blocking the setup. 

Message 3 of 18
plemans
Guru

Its the SB6190 modem?

Firmware will be kind of key if you have the R8000.

the R8000 got the netgear armor update. I've see a few instances where not all of the r8000's played nicely with it. 

so I usually have them try downgrading the firmware to the prior version, doing a factory reset, and then a new install (not from backup). then I have them disable auto updates.

Message 4 of 18
Ahall1113
Aspirant

I will try that when I get home after work, can this be done thru the app or will I need to use the webpage for it. I run of a mobile phone only at home as I have a work laptop

Message 5 of 18
plemans
Guru

If you're changing firmwares, I'd highly advise doing it over a wired connection. 

You *can* do it wireless. but usually when we see a corrupt firmware issue, it tends to be when someones done it via the app or over a wireless connection. 

Message 6 of 18

@Ahall1113 wrote:

I have an Arlo 4 Essential and it will find the wifi but not allow the set up. All of the troubleshoot from Arlo has been done and they have determined that it is due to the firewall settings on my router.

I doubt very much that it has anything to do with the router's firewall. You have no control over that. No settings there to play with.

People usually complain about the 2.4 GHz versus 5 GHz issue.

You best bet is to persevere with Arlo's community.

Arlo Smart Home Security - Arlo Community

I have set up the Arlo 4 Essential many times. (Beta testing.) It works fine.

I assume that you are using it in "AP" mode rather than through a hub. I have been through both. Often. But without knowing where your setup goes wrong, it isn't possible to offer any more advice.

Message 7 of 18
Ahall1113
Aspirant

So the Arlo pro 4 essential without hub with a nightwahkr8000. Arlo app finds wifi, I enter SSID, it tries to set up camera and gives me a network error after 2 to minutes. I have had this happen with the mygarage product, 2 nest cameras and now my 2nd arlo camera. I returned them thinking they were defective. But what your saying is it in no way could be that the firewall settings are blocking the camera from finishing setup. Oh, I also am able to set up camera thru app just fine using my phone hotspot. Are you sure it could not possibly be the settings that nest and arlo tech support have both stated is a continued issue with the r8000 nighthawk? maybe you can tell me how to get around it since you have had success?

Message 8 of 18
Ahall1113
Aspirant

changing firmwares did not solve the issue. as the previous version also does not have a firewall tab under security

Message 9 of 18
plemans
Guru

What firmware is on the R8000?

Something to try? 

Disable the wireless security on the r8000 and see if you can install the arlo. 

You can also try setting up a phone hotspot with the same ssid/password as the arlo. (power off your router while doing this)

Get it connected/updated and then power off the hotspot and turn the router back on. 

Also, check the ssid/passwrod for any special characters/spaces and remove them if you have them. (shouldn't be an issue but worth a shot)

Message 10 of 18
plemans
Guru

@Ahall1113 wrote:

changing firmwares did not solve the issue. as the previous version also does not have a firewall tab under security

Its not about having a different tab. The newer versions got the netgear armor update and not all played nicely. 

which version did you downgrade to and did you do a factory reset after the change? 

Message 11 of 18
Ahall1113
Aspirant

I don't even remember at this point, I tried 2 versions. reset afterwards. I have tried without security and it does the same thing. I have worked at Best Buy for 18 years. The in field agents I asked for help yesterday said this has been an ongoing issues at clients houses.  You would think netgear would see this as a problem and update and fix it but I guess once they get your purchase they can just run you around until your 90 warranty is up and tell you to but a 90/year subscription if you want help

Message 12 of 18

@Ahall1113 wrote:

You would think netgear would see this as a problem and update and fix it ....

What is there to fix? The router us chugging out wifi. It is up to your camera to play ball.

It is one of those things where both sides blame each other for a problem.

There is no controllable firewall on the R8000. As @plemans, says all you can play with is the wifi security.

The 5 GHz issue is more often raised as the problem. Arlo cameras have to connect to 2.4 GHz wifi. Unfortunately, the app you use to set up the camera may well connect to the 5 GHz wifi. (The setup routine warns about this, but many people miss the message and in any case it sometimes works.

One way to get around this is to temporarily turn off the 5 GHz wifi radio. Fortunately, this is pretty easy with the R8000. (For real grief, talk to the people who own Orbi systems.)

Get the manual and read the section Specify Basic WiFi Settings. You could also play with Enable or Disable Smart Connect.

@Ahall1113 wrote:

....they can just run you around until your 90 warranty is up and tell you to but a 90/year subscription if you want help

This place is free and people like @plemans probably know more about these routers than the offshore script jockeys that GearHead hires.

Message 13 of 18
Ahall1113
Aspirant

I have turned off both 5Ghz signlas completely. I have turned off security. the camera finds my 2.4Ghz network, asks for and accepts my SSID for my 2.4Ghz which is different than my 5Ghz as I am trying everything. The camera will connect to a hotspot and complete connection. I was able to set up a google nest doorlock, thermostat, doorbell camera, 2 smart tvs, 4 google minis, and 20 hue lights. Each of the 2 nest senior techs and 3 arlo techs have tried to set it up. They all run in to the same problem that it finds the proper network, verifies the SSID and starts to connect the camera. At this point, unlike all the other smart devices I have set up, the camera disconnects from wifi to attempt to make the connection and then fails. There are articles all over this community complaining about firewall setting issues on nighthawks update as well as reddit and the arlo site. You can just leave if you are going to sit here and tell me I am wrong instead of making an attempt to offer any help in settings to change or how to resolve the issue. At least plemans is attempting to help with solutions I can attempt. Stop defending netgear and try to be a helpful part of this community and discussion, they are not paying you.

Message 14 of 18
plemans
Guru

without security, did it connect? 

I don't have that specific router but I have quite a few netgear routers. I also have a ton of IoT devices like thermostats, arlo cameras, switches, ring cameras, nest camera, etc and I haven't had issues connecting any of them. 

Did you check which versions of the firmware you installed? or what one you're on?

Message 15 of 18
Ahall1113
Aspirant

I worked chronologically backwards to the previous 2. I am not at home to attempt more currently. Without security, it still did not connect. the only way it was able to connect is thru the hotspot on my phone. All my working devices were set up on my previous netgear router. It is just since this nighthawk purchase that it has been an issue. I alos, contacted Xfinity to have them check settings on that end but none exist as it is just my ISP. I changed the modem from the SB6124 I believe to this currrent SB 6190 on Saturday thinking it was possibly the only device older than 18 months but that was not it either. 

Message 16 of 18
plemans
Guru

The version I'd recommend is more than 2 versions back. The version prior to netgear armor is 1.0.4.28

Try that version and after installing it, do a factory reset, and then a new install. Don't use a backup configuration. 

Message 17 of 18
Ahall1113
Aspirant

I will give that a shot tonight. 

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements