Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

connection question

corvairbob
Tutor

connection question

i got a tmobile modem-gateway monday and tried to connect it up to the c3700 modem router unit and i did not have any luck, i did unplug the modem from comcast so all it was doing was the wifi and ethernet or so i thought. this unit has 2 ports so i connected 1 to the tmobile modem and the other 1 to my network switch, but i just did not have any luck with anything i had on the network switch, all my cameras went off line and my roku and my pcs. i tred tuning off the radio and turning it back on and still all my network was down.

so i have a linksys router and that has the yellow port that goes to a modem and it has 4 ports for devices. so i hooked my network switch to that on port 1 and and the tmobile modem to the yellow ethernet port so after redoing all the ip addresses i got the cameras and roku and pcs to be seen. and got online again.

so can someone help me figure out how to connect the c3700 to the tmobile modem and be able to see my network or is that modem/router not able to do that? if not then i think the linksys will have to do the job, but now i can't see my cameras when i'm away from home. i have them ported but maybe someone here has the tmobile 5g modem and can tell me how to get the cameras past that device . thanks bp

Model: C3700|N600 Cable Gateway Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
corvairbob
Tutor

Re: connection question

so as i started this thread i ented c3700 n600   that should take care of the model and i said netgear modem/router.

and i said i tred to connect the tmobile gateway wich is the same name netgear calls their modems and people on this site complained that i calle it a router they said it was a modem so it seems everyone has ther own name for these and it is all the same you call it what you want i will call it a gateway. they said a stand alone device that connect to the internet was a gateway and the device that you connect your devices to was a router. i went down this road a few times

i gave enought information for someone to help.

i said i got the tmobile modem and disconneted the c3700 modem from the cable company and took a cat5 cable and plugget it into port 1 on the netgear and prot 1 on the tmobile modem. but my personal devices would not connect eother ethernet or wifi to the netgear modem. they would connect the the tmobile modem via wifi but not thru ethernet.

but now it does not matter as some other forum has this same issue and as it turns out the tmobile modem is just a glorified hot spot and not a real modem. because it uses wifi to connect to it system. it just happens to be it uses 5g.

so on the tmobile forums they are all complaining about not being able to do the exact same think i was here asking help for. so it may be awhile before this happens or it maynot ever happen. so now people like me that have a smart type home if they use the hotspot will not be able to contact there home devices thru the tmobile modem, unless tmobile changes the system.

thanks

> last time i got in depth they yelled at me [...]

A maker and model number is not "in depth".  Which part of "actual"
did you find confusing?

> [...] you do not seem to be able to help [...]

Knowing approximately nothing about your devices, what you did, what
happened when you did it, what you want to accomplish, or anything else
useful, makes it tough to provide specific advice.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> [...] i got a tmobile modem-gateway [...]

Thanks for that detailed description.

> [...] tried to connect it up to the c3700 modem router unit [...]

Why?  Is there some actual problem which you're trying to solve?  Or
some actual goal?

> [...] i did not have any luck, [...]

Thanks for that detailed description.

"no luck" is not a useful problem description.  It does not say what
you did.  It does not say what happened when you did it.  As usual,
showing actual actions (commands) with their actual results (error
messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague
descriptions or interpretations.

> [...] so all it was doing was the wifi and ethernet or so i thought.
> [...]

> [...] so all it was doing was the wifi and ethernet or so i thought.
> [...]

If you want to try to use the C3700 as a wireless access point, then
you might see, for example:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1463500

That's written for a Netgear C6300-as-WAP, but the steps are about the
same for any other router (any make/model) which lacks a one-step WAP
option.  (I'd expect a C3700 to be very similar, but with fewer LAN
Ethernet ports, less useful.)

> [...] now i can't see my cameras when i'm away from home. [...]

Regarding "can't", see "not a useful problem description [...]",
above.

> [...] i have them ported [...]

For the non-psychics in your audience, you might reveal what that
means to you, and where you did it.  Some clues as the the IP addresses
of all this junk might be interesting, too.

> the tmobile 5g modem [...]

How is that related to your (unspecified) "a tmobile modem-gateway"?
"modem" and "gateway" are spelled differently for a reason.

If "ported" meant that you configured port forwarding on some router
or other, and then you add some other router, it's just possible that
you'd need to do something different to keep your port forwarding
working.  IP networking is often more complex than connecting a bunch of
extension cords together.

Message 2 of 5
corvairbob
Tutor

last time i got in depth they yelled at me so i start out slow. being you do not seem to be able to help maybe someone else can

all i need to do now if find out if anyone here can port forward anything thru a tmoble 5g modem. some call it a modem some call it a gateway. if they happen to have one connected up to a netgear router. thanks

Message 3 of 5
antinode
Guru

did you find confusing?

Message 4 of 5
corvairbob
Tutor

so as i started this thread i ented c3700 n600   that should take care of the model and i said netgear modem/router.

and i said i tred to connect the tmobile gateway wich is the same name netgear calls their modems and people on this site complained that i calle it a router they said it was a modem so it seems everyone has ther own name for these and it is all the same you call it what you want i will call it a gateway. they said a stand alone device that connect to the internet was a gateway and the device that you connect your devices to was a router. i went down this road a few times

i gave enought information for someone to help.

i said i got the tmobile modem and disconneted the c3700 modem from the cable company and took a cat5 cable and plugget it into port 1 on the netgear and prot 1 on the tmobile modem. but my personal devices would not connect eother ethernet or wifi to the netgear modem. they would connect the the tmobile modem via wifi but not thru ethernet.

but now it does not matter as some other forum has this same issue and as it turns out the tmobile modem is just a glorified hot spot and not a real modem. because it uses wifi to connect to it system. it just happens to be it uses 5g.

so on the tmobile forums they are all complaining about not being able to do the exact same think i was here asking help for. so it may be awhile before this happens or it maynot ever happen. so now people like me that have a smart type home if they use the hotspot will not be able to contact there home devices thru the tmobile modem, unless tmobile changes the system.

thanks

did you find confusing?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7