dedicated server and odd port forwarding

skoozar
Aspirant

dedicated server and odd port forwarding

I have a 7 days to die dedicated server.  The port forwarded in the router and the game config file do not match but it works.  By working I mean the game shows up in the game server listing and friends are able to connect.  My game config file is set to 29000 and the router is set to 29001.  The settings only work if those 2 numbers are used. And I mean only.  I have tried ranges, 29000-29015 and that will not work.

This also has happens with another game server, Empyrion-Galactic Empire. The game config file is set at 30000 and the router is set at 30001.  It shows up in the game server but friends can not connect.

The above is for the public ip.  If I use the lan then the games work fine using the game config files. (29000 and 30000)

To make sure it was the router, I Disconnected the server from the router and connected it directly to the cable modem. Both game servers worked correctly.  Showed up in game lobbies and friends could connect.  Used ports 29600 and 30000.

The firmware is up to date.  I reset to default.  Tried so many ports.  But its a not go.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
skoozar
Aspirant

Re: dedicated server and odd port forwarding

k, after all that mind numbing post above, I found an different router that I forgot about and tried it.  Its a Netgear WNR2000 v3.  I did the port forwarding and everything worked perfectly.  Easy,  like it is supposed to be.  I was even able to use ranges.  I set the 7 days server to 26900 to 25902 and the empyrion to 30000 to 30004.  They both show up in the gamer server listings and friends can connect.

So, now what?  I hoping it is just a firmware problem for my R7000.  I am thinking I need to roll back to an older firmware, but not sure if I should do that. It is currently using 1.0.7.2

Suggestions? 

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 5
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @skoozar

Try to reflash the firmware then factory reset the router. 

If the same thing happens, downgrade the firmware then see if it will work. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 3 of 5
skoozar
Aspirant

I finally was able to get back and work on my R7000 router.  I had pulled out an older router and have been using it.   The ports worked fine.

I have tried 4 firmware.  Netgear v.1.05.70, 1.0.7.2, 1.0.7.6 and also tried an open source firmware,  DD-WRT.

Nothing worked.

The router works fine except for the port forwarding.  Yeah, this sucks.  

Any suggestions? 

Message 4 of 5
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What was your old router? 

Do you have the same settings on the old router and this R7000?

Will it work if you put it on DMZ?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E