Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

dns issues with r8000p to my xbox

techman05v2
Guide

dns issues with r8000p to my xbox

My xbox seems to not be able to get my dns settings from my router even though I think other devices in the home are having issues as well. I had to manualy put in the dns ips from the router and it perked up. It was pointing at the routers ip which I'd think would be correct.

Is there any setting I should look into on the router that may be messing with how dns is handled to my local network?

Both the xbox, router,and modem have been restarted many timea and it hasn't resolved. ISP says its fine on thier end.

Thanks for any help getting me working dns.
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: dns issues with r8000p to my xbox

What modem/gateway are you connected to? 

What firmware are you on? 

Make sure IPv6 is enabled and if it wasn't, enable it and reboot the router and xbox. 

Message 2 of 6
techman05v2
Guide

why should ipv6 make a difference? My isp still does ipv4 still. Did netgear fudge up ipv4 and not have any intention to fix it?
Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

Because more device makers (windows specifically) are defaulting to IPv6 from the start. And the newer firmware seems to have issues with it if you're not using ipv6. Which is why I asked what firmware version you're on and if it was enabled. 

Message 4 of 6
techman05v2
Guide

My question now if thats a solution is what happens to devices that may not support ipv6 and how much of a pain is it to implement static ips again? Ipv6 scares the poop out of me when I at least know how to set up devices on ipv4.
Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Devices that don't support ipv6 will failover to ipv4. 

And you can just try enabling it on the route with the auto detect option. 

tends to work for most. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7