Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

doccase@btinternet.com

DocC
Follower

doccase@btinternet.com

Does anyone know if the D7800 (combined xDSL modem/router with 802.11AC WiFi) is still supported?  I know it was launched in the fall of 2015 and that several more modern devices with AX WiFi have subsequently been released by Netgear. Based on it age I would guess that its no longer a production item, but it might still be supported.

I have tried searching the Netgear website for End-of-Life information but the list they used to publish seems to have dissapeared.

I have F/W 1.0.1.60 installed from January 2021, but I am unable to ascertain if the device is still supported and will continue to receive security F/W updates.

Can anyone help by pointing me to the End-of-Life and End-of-Support information?

Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 2

Re: doccase@btinternet.com

@DocC wrote:

I have F/W 1.0.1.60 installed from January 2021, but I am unable to ascertain if the device is still supported and will continue to receive security F/W updates.

You will have a hard time finding that sort of information.

The bad news is that Netgear, and most brands it seems, seem to have abandoned the market for DSL modem only devices. Maybe ISPs are leaning on them in the way that they have for cable modems.

Experienced users like to have separate modems and routers.In this way you can

be confident of getting a router that will be kept up to date on the security front. After all, the modem is a relatively dumb front end to a router that does the real work.

Standalone DSL modems are hard to come by now. The ideal DSL modem from Netgear is the DM200. The prices are getting silly now that Netgear has stopped selling them. I bought one from one of those "open box" merchants. It looked new, with all the usual packing and protection.

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers. (This is easily done, given netgear's complicated community structure.)

You might get more help in the appropriate section for your hardware.

DSL Modems & Routers

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7