Highlighted
Aspirant

don't even have the AC3600 (R7960P) listed in the Model list for these support pages

Does anyone have anything good to say about their NETGEAR router? I used to love their products but they just seem to get worse every year. If I could return my AC3600 (R7960P) back to COSTCO I would. The unit is now a problem, can't keep an internet connection past 24 hours at which point you can't even login to the unit by any method. Have already tried to change FirmWare, but it won't update by any available means. I've seen post that they know about the problems, but haven't done **bleep** about it. So again does anyone have anything good to say about their netgear product? Will most likely start using TP Link see if they are any better.

Message 1 of 5
Highlighted
Master

Re: don't even have the AC3600 (R7960P) listed in the Model list for these support pages

Mine R7800 has been rock solid and reliable from day one. Only had minor issues which were easy to fix.

I will not recommend going to TP-Link. They abandon their models pretty fast, usually when they release newer ones. You'll be lucky to get a few firmware updates before the big silence

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.80SF
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400 - Cruncher: Intel Core i5-7400
Message 2 of 5
Highlighted
Prodigy

Re: don't even have the AC3600 (R7960P) listed in the Model list for these support pages

Maybe they have better engineers then Netgear so no need for release after release. Have a friend that got on after fighting with a R8000. Never been happier. 

Modem CM2050V
Message 3 of 5
Highlighted
Master

@labatt wrote:

Maybe they have better engineers then Netgear so no need for release after release. Have a friend that got on after fighting with a R8000. Never been happier. 

They don't. I've had TP-Link in the past and it had issues here and there when they stopped providing new firmware for it. It was an Archer C7v1. TP-Link just abandons their models fast. ASUS on the other had provides firmwares for many years, like NG does. Quality control on the ASUS side is far, far better

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.80SF
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400 - Cruncher: Intel Core i5-7400
Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
Prodigy

@microchip8 

Agree with quality control on Asus. That may be helped by RMerlin as he fixes bugs. When I have had Asus routers I always used his builds.

Unfortunately my house was built with plaster walls and ceiling over metal lath. Makes it hard to cover with just one router. I went toward the commercial grade with a router, no wifi, and AP's. Now have whole house covered and AP's run in mesh mode with Ethernet back to router. 

Modem CM2050V
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements