Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

dropping connection

wen252
Aspirant

dropping connection

I have this modem router for about a year since the pandemic but recently, within the month and half, I've noticed that it's been dropping connection.

I isp is Spectrum in NY and I called them and they said that there was coding on their end that could be the problem since the coding made the service look for a former spectrum owned router (not my current one).  they removed the coding and I rebootted my machine.

After a few days, I still see dropped connections and the event log indicates that critical failure.  It haappens 3-4 times a day and I've noticed it when I'm on zoom and my wifi goes on the blink.

I have a splitter that allows a connection to my modem/router and another wire connectio to my tv/cable box.

I need hlep in fixing this problem.

Model: C7100V|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 14
plemans
Guru

Re: dropping connection

do you have a screen snip of the cable connections page and the event logs? that helps us to check the line 

do both wired and wireless devices have issues?

Message 2 of 14
wen252
Aspirant

Here goes
Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

and the cable connections page? shows upstream/downstream power/errors

Message 4 of 14
wen252
Aspirant

Problem only on wireless connections
Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 5 of 14
wen252
Aspirant

Heres cable connections readout
Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 6 of 14
plemans
Guru

If its only on wireless, its it on the 2.4ghz or 5ghz band? 

2.4ghz is more sensitive to interference as well as its a much slower network. 

5ghz is significantly faster but doesn't broadcast as far or through as much materials. 

You can also try changing the channel your wireless is using in case theres interference on those channels. 

Message 7 of 14
wen252
Aspirant

Ok ill try that thanks.
Any channel for 5 ghz recommended?
Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 8 of 14
plemans
Guru

5ghz doesn't broadcast nearly as far as 2.4ghz and doesn't penetrate as well. so unless you live close to your neightbors, in a condo/apartment, usually there isn't much interference. So if you were using the higher 5ghz bands, try the lower 5ghz bands. 

also something to keep in mind. 5ghz is much faster. its what you should be using for video devices. But because it doesn't penetrate objects as well, sometims objects in the walls can block the signal or cause interference (think hvac, plumbing, etc). 

So try moving the router laterally or move your device to see if potentially its someting in the walls causing issues. 

Message 9 of 14
wen252
Aspirant

Thanks so far switching to 5 mghz channel has worked so far— no events of dropping or interference after 3 hours. Fingers crossed!
Message 10 of 14
wen252
Aspirant

Re: dropping connection -- continues to be a problem after change from 2.5 mhz to 5 mhz HELP!!

Hi everyone, 

I changed my wireless from 2.5 mhz to 5 mhz and set it to a low channel band.  It worked for a few hours with no glitches but then it started acting up again----here's the event log---ignore the event at 20:34 where I rebooted the modem/router.

Message 11 of 14
plemans
Guru

Re: dropping connection -- continues to be a problem after change from 2.5 mhz to 5 mhz HELP!!

your event log is only showing standard boot up configuration notices. 

What does "acting up" mean? 

Also, how big is your home? 

What are the interior walls made of? 

how far from the router is the device having issues and how many walls between?

Message 12 of 14
wen252
Aspirant

I mean that internet access is interrupted for a short time.i live in a moderately sized apartment in nyc. Plasterboard wall construction but my devices are in the same room or in a different room. I attached the latest event log.
Message 13 of 14
plemans
Guru

@wen252 wrote:
I mean that internet access is interrupted for a short time.----is it saying "connected, no internet connection" is it not connecting at all, is it not seeing the wifi broadcast, whats actuallyhappening?
i live in a moderately sized apartment in nyc.---what sqft is moderately sized? your moderate might be my large. 
Plasterboard wall construction----plaster lathe? sheetrock? each area has differences as to what plasterboard is. 
but my devices are in the same room or in a different room.
I attached the latest event log.---did you reboot? you have even less data than last time. and the log clears on reboot. 

Apartments are great for interference. People tend to be closer together so signals cause interference and there doesn't tend to be much free spectrum. I had nothing but issues when I was living in an apartment. 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7