dropping wired connection and Sonos woes

kupermanp
Aspirant

dropping wired connection and Sonos woes

Hi
I recently purchased a r7000 router and installed it the other day. i am running the latest firmware .27. I switched from a 3500 which was running tomato firmware and had not had any issues for over a year. The only thing I did was exchange out the router and upgrade the routers firmware to latest version.

I have only had it installed for two days but have three major issues

1) Random dropouts on the WIRED lan when streaming from a readynas pro to XBMC clients. This happens on multiple different clients

2) Intermittent dropout of wireless on 2.4Ghz network

3) dropping out of multiple sonos zones/unable to communicate with my Sonos. Streaming pandora/slacker drops out randomly

My current setup is R7000 router connected directly to modem. The router is also connected to a switch. The switch is directly connected to my ReadyNas and Pro as well as well the other clients in the house. Im using an ipad 4 on the 5Ghz and multiple wireless devices on the 2.4 ghz.

My guess is the sonos issues have to do with spanning but i don't see any control options in the firmware. I am at a loss to explain the wired issues. I may try tomato and see if that fixes the problems but unfortunately any one of these issues is a deal breaker for me.

Thanks
Paul
Message 1 of 7
partymonkey
Aspirant

Re: dropping wired connection and Sonos woes

Not sure if your issue is the same, but there are several of us who have reported through this forum issues w/ devices connected to the routers and loss of access/connectivity. I particularly have the issue on 2.4gh wireless devices, but there are others who have had it with physical connections. I don't, and I have over 12 physically connected devices through switches. But anything I've had on 2.4 has had trouble. Even though they stay "connected" to the router, they become inaccessible.

I just received an RMAd replacement, and I need to get it going again and try it out. While I waited for it, I bought a simpler, much less expensive router from another brand, and it has been trouble-free (although the wireless range is not as good which is what I loved about the nighthawk).

Hopefully your issue is different and can be resolved quickly and easily.
Message 2 of 7
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Have to ask, sorry, but did you reset your router to factory defaults after upgrading the firmware, and then re-enter your settings manually?

Just to get that out of the way *smile*.
Message 3 of 7
kupermanp
Aspirant

RogerSC wrote:
Have to ask, sorry, but did you reset your router to factory defaults after upgrading the firmware, and then re-enter your settings manually?

Just to get that out of the way *smile*.

I upgraded the firmware before entering any setting so I assumed it was set to factory default.

I may try an alternative firmware (likely tomato since I have experience with it). To be honest I understand that wireless can be a little picky but to have consistent problems with the wired network (when I have had no such problems with at least 3 other routers in the exact same configuration) is pretty pathetic particularly in a top of the line product.

thanks
Paul
Message 4 of 7
mike789
Novice

I having the same problem, just replaced and old router that was working fine, now random dropout on wired network connection, mostly just reseting the computers nic will re-establish a connection, and a couple of times I had to restart the router.

I did connect a usb drive, but have since removed ( it did seem to drop out more often with connected + other issues with drive access but thats another story )

Firmware Version is : V1.0.3.60_1.1.27
using cat5e cable ( replaced cable, still same issues, going to try cat6.)
Message 5 of 7
cotabitiu
Novice

Tried with CAT6 cable, same issue.

I am really dissapointed because I switched this from a Linksys (which was working OK but the user interface was for average Joe)....
Message 6 of 7
fordem
Mentor

Six different posters, each posting once - I can't help but wonder if all six of you actually have the same problem. Those of you who are having Sonos related problems - look for a way to disable the Sonos "mesh" network - I believe you problem will disappear once that has been done - you could also try enabling wireless isolation if that is offered. The link below explains the problem, and provides a solution (if you're not using WiFi on the Sonos) - to the original poster, who has Sonos, but doesn't understand why the wired network would be affected - wired & wireless is actually one network - if you get a broadcast storm, your entire network, both wired & wireless will go down. http://bsteiner.info/articles/disabling-sonos-wifi

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E