Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: dual band wifi router

Giselle479
Aspirant

dual band wifi router

I am looking to add my own router instead of the new Spectrum router they just installed.

I can't have a router that selects either 2.4 or 5ghz.  I need one where I can choose which device uses 2.4 and which device uses 5ghz.

My security cameras and Android Tab A 10 only seem to work on 2.4 ghz.

Our iPad works best on 5ghz.

I don't see which product will do this.  Most say they will switch automatically to strongest network.

Can someone please suggest the correct Netgear router product for my needs?

The Spectrum modem does not appear to have a name, but on the bottom it has about 8 lines of numbers.  Sorry, not tech smart

thanks,

Model: AC1450|802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit Smart WiFi router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

The R6850 is a dual band router that doesn't have smart connect so the bands aren't connected with the same ssid unless you set them the same. 

so you have the option of using either band. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Many of netgears single router solutions would work. You'd just disable smart connect if it has it. Smart connect is the single ssid (name) function that steers devices between bands. 

the mesh routers don't have the option of disabling smart connect. 

But you should try running it first with it enabled. Most devices won't have any issues. 

Message 2 of 6
Giselle479
Aspirant

@plemans wrote:

Many of netgears single router solutions would work. You'd just disable smart connect if it has it. Smart connect is the single ssid (name) function that steers devices between bands. 

But you should try running it first with it enabled. Most devices won't have any issues. 

I was

@plemans wrote:

I  was considering AC2000 ROUTER. It sounds like i could hook up old devices to 2.4 and newer devices to 5ghz.  Does that sound right?

Model: Dual Band
Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

ac2000 is a speed. What model are you looking at?

What issues were you having exactly with smart connect? 

What router is it? 

modem you're using? 

firmware on the router? 

Message 4 of 6
Giselle479
Aspirant

R6850 i believe is the wifi router number.

Spectrum modem unknown.

Using with oc windows 10  broadband.

I need dual band to use 2.4 for galaxy tab a 10 and simplisafe cameras. Also need newer devices to link only to 5ghz..

@plemans wrote:

ac2000 is a speed. What model are you looking at?

What issues were you having exactly with smart connect? 

What router is it? 

modem you're using? 

firmware on the router? 

Model: Dual Band
Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

The R6850 is a dual band router that doesn't have smart connect so the bands aren't connected with the same ssid unless you set them the same. 

so you have the option of using either band. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7