Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: enable multicasting on RAX80

Jonowl
Aspirant

enable multicasting on RAX80

Hi there,

I'm wanting to disable IGMP snooping and enable multicasting, but I'm not sure how.

'Disable IGMP Proxying' has been ticked.

I've been told I need to do this by Brother tech support.

Apparently Mac OS has network discovery issues with devices, in this particular instance my Brother printer.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

@Jonowl wrote:

I've been told I need to do this by Brother tech support.

Apparently Mac OS has network discovery issues with devices, in this particular instance my Brother printer.

I'd start by trying to troubleshoot the problem rather than following possibly wonky advice from someone who may not know what they are talking about.

What is this Brother printer and what problem do you have?

Message 2 of 4
Jonowl
Aspirant

Hi there,
I'm grateful for your help.

I have a network of Macs at home (all running the latest OS).

They all connect to a Brother printer. Model#: MFC-J6730DW

The issue is that I can set up the above printer as the default printer on all machines but after a small amount of time (hours) if any of the Macs try and print to the printer they can't find it. If I look in each Mac's settings it shows the printer to be not available.

I contacted Brother and their tech support said that it was a Mac issue, that "Macs often have problems scanning for devices and that I needed to disable 'IGMP Snooping' and enable 'multicasting'". They said that in the interim I should connect via the printer's IP address, which I had already done. The problem with that interim solution is that the printer runs on limited functionality.

Message 3 of 4

Sounds like a war going on there between Brother and Apple with Netgear caught in the crossfire.

It looks like there have been other issues with that printer on Macs:

Search - NETGEAR Communities – Brother MFC-J6730DW

There might be something to try in there.

Then there is this bit:

@Jonowl wrote:

They said that in the interim I should connect via the printer's IP address, which I had already done. The problem with that interim solution is that the printer runs on limited functionality.

Have you tried reserving the IP address for the printer on the router?

I don't understand this bit in your first message:

I'm wanting to disable IGMP snooping and enable multicasting, but I'm not sure how. 'Disable IGMP Proxying' has been ticked.

There is a pointer to this in the manual for your router.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the section in the manual View or Change WAN Settings

You may have done that already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear gave up on supplying paper manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7