Re: enabling parental controls on C7000v2

sheia
Follower

enabling parental controls on C7000v2

can not get parental controls to work

Model: C7000-1AZNAS|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 9

What are you doing? Where does it go wrong? What messages do you see?

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in the model number and find the documentation for your hardware.

If you need more help, you might get better and quicker replies, and find other answers, over in the appropriate section for your device:

Cable Modems & Routers

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 9
RhymesWCarbon
Initiate

I have this same problem. When I use the web interface, I'm encouraged to download Netgear Genie. I did that. When I'm on the Genie app, it tells me that I am not connecting to the internet through a supported router. Excuse me? It's your OWN router, Netgear!

Checking Router Firmware

We're making sure you have firmware that supports Live Parental Controls

It looks like you're not connecting to the internet through a supported NETGEAR router. Please make sure your computer is connected to your NETGEAR router via a wireless or Ethernet connection and try again. [Editor note: I'm hardwired]  If this problem persists, turn off your router and turn it back on, wait until all LEDs are lit and try again  [Editor note: done this several times]. For further assistance visit http://netgear.opendns.com/support

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 3 of 9

@RhymesWCarbon wrote:

I have this same problem. When I use the web interface, I'm encouraged to download Netgear Genie. I did that. When I'm on the Genie app, it tells me that I am not connecting to the internet through a supported router.

Which cable modem/router do you have? The subject says C7000v2. (The footer says C7000, probably because it doesn't offer the V2 option.)

If that is the case, then the Netgear genie app is not the one to use. Newer devices use the Nighthawk app.

Which products support the NETGEAR Nighthawk app? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

On routers and other devices, Netgear can change the firmware so that existing devices will switch from the Genie to Nighthawk. But cable devices are in the hands of ISPs which seem reluctant to update firmware. (Netgear can't do it, nor can  users.)

This means that the original C7000 is stuck with the genie while the V2 gets the Nighthawk app.

This means that your Nighthawk app is correct when its says you not connecting to the Internet through a supported router. Not supported by the Netgear genie, that is. Confused? Join the club.Even the manual for the C7000v2 talks about the genie.

We have no idea if this applies to @sheia who provided next to no information. Thanks to your details, we now have something to go on.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 9
tigrr49
Initiate

Hi all,

I do in fact have a C7000v2 router.  I first went to the Netgear Genie Portal (http://192.168.0.1/).  When you click on parental controls in that portal, it loads the following site (netgear.com/lpc).  That prompts you to download the Nighthawk App which I did.  However upon logging into the App, no parental controls are anywhere to be found!  The only other thing on the netgear.com/lpc site is the Circles app which requires a costly subscription to do anything (boo!).  Why on earth can't I find built in parental controls and/or can someone help me find them???

Thanks,

tigrr49

Message 5 of 9
EthanLNguyen
Aspirant

The parental controls of the router from opens a cannot be found on the nighthawk app.

Can someone please help me with getting the parental controls on the app for my netgear nighthawk c7000v2 cable modem router?
Message 6 of 9

@EthanLNguyen wrote:
The parental controls of the router from opens a cannot be found on the nighthawk app.

I don't understand that bit.

@EthanLNguyen wrote:

Can someone please help me with getting the parental controls on the app for my netgear nighthawk c7000v2 cable modem router?

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

and feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the section Set Up Parental Controls.

You may have done this already, I can't tell from your message.

The latest Nighthawk app no longer supports standard (free) Parental Controls, only the paid for Circle.

Parental Controls still work but you may have to to manage them with the desktop genie for your operating system.

On a mobile device you can use a browser and login to your Parental Controls account at opendns.

netgear.opendns.com

Manage things from there.

Just another user.

Message 7 of 9
lucasarmentrout
Aspirant

Okay. So I'm having the same issue with the c7000v2. I go to my router config page but when I click on parental controls, it just brings up an advertisement page for parental controls with a video. The video says you can set up parental controls for free (great!) then tells you to go to netgear.com/genie and download the app. Except the page only gives you the options to download the app for android or iphone. Not computer THEN, when you download the app on an android phone and go to log in, it loads for 5 seconds then immediately times out. EVERY SINGLE TIME. 

When you go through the documentation for the users manual, it directs you to download the genie app, as well. Which apparently isn't offered for computer and won't load on android. Nor is it the right app to use for this model of router? I am very confused.

Message 8 of 9

@lucasarmentrout wrote:

The video says you can set up parental controls for free (great!) then tells you to go to netgear.com/genie and download the app.

I don't know what page you landed on. Netgear is trying to kill the genie. It has broken some of the key links to it.

First look on the support pages for your device:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the downloads for your hardware.

That page will also have any software, firmware and drivers for your device, if they exist.

If that fails, the last sighting of the genie that worked was here:

genie Landing Page | Apps | Discover | Home | NETGEAR

Look for the version for your operating system.

The genie is a valuable addition to the toolkit that does things that are more complicated, or even impossible, with the browser graphical user interface (GUI). (Try creating a "map" of your powerline devices in the GUI.) It is a shame that Netgear tries to force us all to use its hopeless mobile apps.

@lucasarmentrout wrote:

.....when you download the app on an android phone and go to log in, it loads for 5 seconds then immediately times out. EVERY SINGLE TIME. 

I don't know how you are trying to get into the device, local wifi or Anywhere Access, but generally apps are a bad way into parental controls. Netgear is trying to force users to pay for parental controls and is removing the free version from apps.

You should check these:

Which products support the NETGEAR Nighthawk app? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Which NETGEAR home router models can I manage using the NETGEAR genie app? | Answer | NETGEAR Suppor...

You will see that the genie app does not support the C7000v2.

Cable modem/routers are a problem in general. Apps depend on the firmware on a device. Neither Netgear nor users can do anything to update firmware. That is down to the ISP.

Just another user.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements