Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: firmware update causing my router to die after a day

firmware update causing my router to die after a day

I have the NightHawk AC3200_R8000.

My router was running R8000-V1.0.1.16-1.0.74 for months, without any issues at all.

Last week we received an email, telling us to update our firmware to fix a security issue. 

So I updated to R8000-V1.0.2.46_1.0.97.  Now my router stops working after only one day.  So for the past 3 days I come home to find no Internet and I have to reboot my router.  No, it is not my service or my modem.  It will not respond and I have to reboot it.  This only started happening after the firmware update.

the update itself went fine, no issues and afterwards everything is working fine.

Thanks for adding the "die after a day" bug Netgear!!!

How about coming up with a good firmware update to fix the last one?

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions

tried those suggestions to no avail.  After reading more, it seems most routers including this one have issues with too many wireless clients.  Some say 10 or less active at one time is about all most home routers can handle - without having a issue at some point.  I'm curious if others agree with this.  I have about 15, maybe a couple more.  With TV's, iphones, ipads, chromebook, Shield, cameras, etc, it doesn't take much for a faimly of 4 to blow past 10 active wireless devices at the same time.  

My fix was to buy the top dog router available, ASUS RT-AC5300 Extreme Tri Band Router.  Problem fixed.  🙂

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12

All Replies
netwrks
Master

Good idea to factory reset after any firmware update. If you haven't you should and config from scratch.

Message 2 of 12

Ok, will try that this weekend.  Thanks

Message 3 of 12
tpl
Aspirant
Aspirant

If reinstalling factory settings does not work, try replacing firmware V. 4.30 with V.  4.28.   That is what fixed my R7000.

Message 4 of 12

well this was a PITA to reset and reconfigure everything, as I have a custom setup.  But so far the router is working and hasn't crashed.  I will give it a few more days to be sure the issue is gone.

The upgrarde process sucks.  They should build a SMART update process that backs up the settings, flashes the firmware, and then restores the settings.  

Message 5 of 12
meg3992003
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue with version V1.1.2.12 for wnr2000v3. Seems like the magical time of day when I need to reboot is between 7:30-7:45 am.

Message 6 of 12

Go into the Settings section and RESET to factory, reboot, and reconfigure as needed.  That should resolve your issue.  After doing the reset, mine is back to working normal for months.

Message 7 of 12

This issue has returned.  My wifi (both 2.4 and 5 Ghz) die after a few days following a reboot.  I did RESET the router and reconfigure, but that now does not help.  This router has major bugs that need to be addressed.  I'm about to toss this router in the trash and buy another brand.

Anyone else having this issue?

My router current firmware is 1.0.3.4_1.1.2

Nighthawk X6 R8000

Message 8 of 12

The Netgear support here sucks!  I posted this wifi issue months ago and even though I still have the issue, Netgear refused to provide support.  I tried openning two tickets and they both were auto closed becaues my router is no longer ujnder warranty, expired only in Feb 2016, and again I reported this issue months ago.

I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER NETGEAR POS AGAIN!  All other brands will provide support via forums and tickets,  especially whent they screw up a firmware.

Message 9 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi Switchblade,

For wireless issues, please try these KB articles.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23655

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25182/related/1

Message 10 of 12

tried those suggestions to no avail.  After reading more, it seems most routers including this one have issues with too many wireless clients.  Some say 10 or less active at one time is about all most home routers can handle - without having a issue at some point.  I'm curious if others agree with this.  I have about 15, maybe a couple more.  With TV's, iphones, ipads, chromebook, Shield, cameras, etc, it doesn't take much for a faimly of 4 to blow past 10 active wireless devices at the same time.  

My fix was to buy the top dog router available, ASUS RT-AC5300 Extreme Tri Band Router.  Problem fixed.  🙂

Message 11 of 12
Darwood
Tutor

I have recently switched to Netgear after being a life long Cisco/Linksys user. The last three routers from them died within a year and they were all the high end models. Seems that they experienced heat issues which caused premature failure mainly  due to poor materials, construction and design. So i went Netgear. I am experiencing similar issues to you with the latest firmware for the R8000 i reverted back a firmware version and my problems went away. I have sometimes 15 devices connected via wireless at a time and have seen no problems in that department with the R8000 my issues pertain to accessing certain web sites and servers after 1-2 days which i have posted about here,

I do not think the latest firmware has anything that benefits me but when a fix comes out for the remote access login vulnerability then it may be a problem. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7