Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

how to block VPN add-on on chrome, firefox..... or other webbrowser

longitvn
Aspirant

how to block VPN add-on on chrome, firefox..... or other webbrowser

Dear support team,

I am using Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router combined with Circle solution to manage the use of children's Internet. I am having problems when my child uses "VPN add-on" on Google Chrome, they can pass the firewall to play video games on the Internet. Please give me the solution to stop this

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: how to block VPN add-on on chrome, firefox..... or other webbrowser

No security method is going to be 100%

Kids are great at finding out ways around things. 

you might start managing his google chrome extentions. 

https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6177431?hl=en

Or setting up admin privleges on pc/laptops/phones and restricting apps. 

Or simply take the devices away when you find them working around your restrictions. 

Or have a discussion on why you're restricting these sites and the repurcussions/punishments for going around them. .

I had a friend that banned their kid from tiktok so their kid use one of their friends old phones while at school to get around it. 

Sure, they didn't use it at home but it didn't mean they weren't using it elsewhere or even sneaking the phone home and jumping on a neighbors wireless. 

So you can restrict all you want. But when they start working around the boundaries, they're going to find a way to access what they want somehow. It might be time to start working with them. 

sorry, I'm going through it with one of my monsters and I either lock everything down so tight that nothing works right or I work with them and have frank discussions (not always comfortable discussions) and proper sites/usage and the reasons for it. And we still have set backs and removal of electronics. and thats what I can control at home. 

Message 2 of 4
longitvn
Aspirant

Thanks you so much !

However at this time I am looking for an optimal solution for that. Absolutely prohibit playing games and social networks to practice together for learning. Can someone help me? pls Thanks plemans ,

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 4

@longitvn wrote:

Thanks you so much !

However at this time I am looking for an optimal solution for that. Absolutely prohibit playing games and social networks to practice together for learning. Can someone help me? pls Thanks plemans ,

Unlikely, because you are trying to achieve something that may not be possible. Nothing will block a determined kid with enough knowledge to go our and find escape routes from any defences you install.

You could investigate subscription services like Circle and Armor to manage your network.

Which NETGEAR routers support Circle Smart Parental Controls? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Circle needs a subscription.

What are the available service plans when using Circle Smart Parental Controls on my NETGEAR router?...

Here's another one that costs money:

What is the NETGEAR Armor Bitdefender Total Security feature? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7