Re: how to get the Router and DSL Modem to use the same ip address range

dlav2001
Aspirant

how to get the Router and DSL Modem to use the same ip address range

So this is my dilema. 

My Shaw DSL Router uses ip address 192.168.0.1. My printers are also connected to the same IP ranges of 192.168.0.(...)

But my netgear router uses 192.168."1".(...).   So when I am hooked into my shaw wifi, I can print to my printers, but when I and using my Netgear wifi I cannot use the printers cause it uses a .1.0. insteat of a .0.0. 

I hope that makes sense.   so what I need to do is make sure that when I log into my netgear wifi, that it registers my ip address as 192.168.0 instead of 192.168.1.   How do I do that. 

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
TheEther
Guru

Set up the Netgear as an Access Point. This will eliminate the second subnet and all devices will be one subnet. Make sure to force your devices to obtain new IP addresses after the change. There are instructions in the manual.
Message 2 of 10
schumaku
Guru

Hi,

With your current set-up, you operate two NAT devices (the DSL modem/router) and the Nighthawk - what is leading to two diferent networks.

If the only aim is to exend/enhance the wireless coverage by conncting the (unspecified) Nigthhawk router, and you have a network cablein place already to the Nighthawk location, you might want to make a pure Wireless Access point out of your Nigthhawk router -> How do I change my Nighthawk router to AP mode after I’ve already run setup?

Alternate approach (I'm not familiar with the Shaw DSL CPE) would be to change the DSL modem/router config to a pure DSL modem, and terminate the DSL tunnel direct on the Nighthawk, ie. for a common PPPoE -> Manual Configuration of a Router for DSL Internet Service with a Bridged Modem (PPPoE)

Regards,

-Kurt.

Message 3 of 10
dlav2001
Aspirant

The netgear Router is set up as "access point".

But it has the ip address of it at 192.168.1.0
Message 4 of 10
dlav2001
Aspirant

It is a Nighthawk 7000.

And it is wired directly into my shaw router.

And yes. I needed extra wifi upstairs
Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

dlav2001 wrote: ...The netgear Router is set up as "access point".

But it has the ip address of it at 192.168.1.0 
...It is a Nighthawk 7000.

And it is wired directly into my shaw router.

And yes. I needed extra wifi upstairs

The Nighthawk should have been assigned an address by the shaw router - which should be in the 192.168.0.x range.  Can you post a screen shot that shows the 192.168.1.0 address?

Message 6 of 10
dlav2001
Aspirant

Sorry, my router is actually in Router mode.  I think I had to change it so i could trick it to being a "US" router for my Roku.

Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@dlav2001 wrote:

Sorry, my router is actually in Router mode.  I think I had to change it so i could trick it to being a "US" router for my Roku.

Do you need any further advice from us then?

If you are routing with both the shaw router and the Nighthawk, then the Nighthawk network will need to use a different IP address space from the shaw.

Message 8 of 10
dlav2001
Aspirant

192.168.1.0.png

netgear.pngSorry, I don't know what screen shot you want. I have nothing at 192.168.1.0

Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

dlav2001 wrote:

Sorry, I don't know what screen shot you want. I have nothing at 192.168.1.0

The 192.168.1.0 came from your earlier post.  But the second screenshot does show that the Nighthawk and the DSL gateway are both routing - the Nighthawk is getting 192.168.0.12 from the DSL gateway, and is using 192.168.1.x for it's LAN addresses.

Is this a problem for you?  You will have some complexity with port forwarding, and some restrictions on accessing devices on the the 192.168.0.x network (for instance printers). 

There are only two other options.  Either use the Nighthawk as an Access Point, or bridge the DSL modem (turning off it's gateway features).  Bridging will require all your devices to connect to the Nighthawk, which might be a problem (depending on it's location).

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E