how to set QOS properly

slicky
Tutor

how to set QOS properly

Hi, I got the X4S off ebay yesterday and I was wondering what’s the recommended device priority settings? I have my gaming consoles set to high and the rest to medium with 90% of my bandwidth for QOS. Is this good? would It make a difference if I put every device on low??
Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: how to set QOS properly

What speeds do you pay for? 

Reason I ask is qos isn't recommended for speeds >250mbps. 

Current setup: CAX80->Trendnet TEG-S380->GS716T-> RBK752->pi-hole
1.4gig download/50mbps upload
We’re members of the public helping out on our own time.
Message 2 of 9

@plemans wrote:

What speeds do you pay for? 

Reason I ask is qos isn't recommended for speeds >250mbps. 

Oh so true, because above that speed, the processor has to put effort into managing the traffic, which can actually slow you down.

Then there is the fundamental question, is there any sign that you actually need QoS? Implementing a feature "because it is there" can be pointless.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 9
slicky
Tutor

I’m subbed to 300 down and 30 up. It’s cable internet tho and I usually get around 236-275mbps down and lowest is 170-190mbps down. my upload tends to be more consistent.
Message 4 of 9
slicky
Tutor

I have up to 10 devices, two smart tvs constantly streaming, 2 game consoles on at the same time on multiplayer, 1 tablet in use and the rest are phones. All in use at the same time. I just want to be able to play uninterrupted.
Message 5 of 9

@slicky wrote:
I’m subbed to 300 down and 30 up. It’s cable internet tho and I usually get around 236-275mbps down and lowest is 170-190mbps down. my upload tends to be more consistent.

You should get more than 300 Mbps not less.

At those speeds, QoS is not advised. That's because the processing involved in managing traffic can actually slow things down.

"Turn off QoS" is common advice when someone has slow speeds.

Have you tried working without QoS? You might be surprised.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 6 of 9
slicky
Tutor

I adjusted the bandwidth, my problem before this router was bufferbloat but I got an A across when qos was active. I’ll turn it off an see how things go, thanks
Message 7 of 9

@slicky wrote:
I adjusted the bandwidth,

I have no idea what that means, but in general the aim when configuring a router should be to start with the simplest configuration possible and then to intervene only when you come across a problem.

By the way, you say that you got this thing off eBay, which probably means second hand. The first thing you should have done was to reset the thing to its factory defaults. Maybe you did that. You want to remove any tweaks that the original owner applied.

Just another user.

Message 8 of 9
slicky
Tutor

it was new, router was sealed and didn’t look second hand when I opened it. Majority of new routers come with the router sealed inside the box with cellophane, the inside has misc. documents with a shielded cat5e ethernet cable, power adapter and the router with plastic wrap with a qr code to setup the router and antennas sealed in plastic too. It came as default as you can get. With the X4S when you go to QOS it gives you the option to set your bandwidth or let the router do a speed test to determine your bandwidth. I set my down and up speed to 90% of what I actually get. But I was having bufferbloat with my upload and actually had to set it higher. I don’t have a good pc yet, so i rely on my phone and a macbook pro with a ugreen adapter. but my initial problem was lag in gaming, I’ve been playing in peace so far
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E