i will never ever buy Netgear again. and im going to post it everywhere.

wow. the sham that has become of this company is hilarious to say the least. I purchased the R7000 in January of 2015, and it worked perfectly for months. Now not so much. The speeds i get out of this thing hard lined now are a joke and wireless is basically un-useable. Around September I started to have issues with the speeds cutting in half at times on the desktop (hard wired), and at the same time the wireless would disappear (both 2.4 and 5ghz). Factory reset fixes it. For a while. Everything seemed to be ok for a few days and now I have to factory reset this junk probably everyday or at least once every 2 days. It has become so bad that I dont even bother setting up the wifi name/password anymore. So i finally had enough and called tech support. HA! what a joke. so let me get this right;

the tech support agent wants me to give him my credit card # so he can charge me if HE determines it is a technical issue and not a hardware issue? seriously? 1 year warranty for what? i will not pay someone more than what i paid for this trash to determine if it needs to be replaced. since this was purchased from amazon i will be posting this exactly there as well. trash. utter trash.

Message 1 of 15
TheEther
Guru

Re: i will never ever buy Netgear again. and im going to post it everywhere.

It's possible that the firmware has become corrupted.  Try reflashing it.  What version are you running?  

Many people believe 1.0.4.28 is the most stable, though 1.0.4.30 works for me.

Message 2 of 15
LeeH
Prodigy

Try doing another reset and then flash 1.0.4.28 followed by another reset.  I had problems before when I did not reset before flashing the firmware. This double reset and flashing the firmware is probably your best option at this time.

Message 3 of 15

i have tried every firmware since may or june i cant remember which. all of them have the same results; slow speeds after a period of time. when i hard wire directly to the motorola modem i get 130mb a sec, through the router when it is not working i get 6 tops and .5 at worst.

Message 4 of 15

i will try this (Reset/flash/reset) thnx

Message 5 of 15
TheEther
Guru

Also try cloning your computer's MAC address onto the router's WAN interface.  Your ISP could be tying your Internet service to your computer's MAC address.

Message 6 of 15
NightOwl326
Luminary

I guess since your never going to buy a Netgear product again, they have no reason to help an x-customer with a problem.  

Message 7 of 15

@NightOwl326

LOL u must work for netgear because that sounds about how it was handled when i called in;

no use standing behind our 1 year warranty because we dont care about our customers...

merry christmas keyboard warrior

Message 8 of 15
JamesGL
Master

Hi battlechaser24,

If you have not tried the latest firmware then please update the router to the latest one which was released last month.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30091

Message 9 of 15
LeeH
Prodigy

battlechaser24 does your router work now?  Status?

Message 10 of 15

i have tried everyting listed here to no avail. I just finished hard resetting it and now my speeds have returned hard wired, wifi is still super slow. i pretty much give up on this thing; thank you everyone for the suggestions

Message 11 of 15
chascent
Luminary

Load this firmware from Kong DDWRT:

http://www.myopenrouter.com/download/netgear-nighthawk-router-wallpapers

Get the latest version for the R 7000.

follow this:

reset to factory

let router fully reboot - Log in and reset to factory defaults (or press reset for 8 seconds)

After rebooting set up the router

I have been using this for a week now and there is no comparison to the bloated stock firmware.

My network is stable and lightening fast,

CC

Message 12 of 15
LeeH
Prodigy

If your wired is fast and your WIFi is slow you might have something in your environment that is radiating at the same frequency as your router,  Some wireless phones and speakers use the same frequencies as your router.  Did you try using software on your computer to detect other rf sources in your environement?  Have you tried changing your channels more than once?  I've heard insider is a good software to use but I've never used it.

Message 13 of 15

negative, hard line has about 1/8th the speed its supposed to have. its not a desktop issue here because everything in the house is affected at the same time. its crappy hardware from a company that doesnt want to stand behind its warranty. period. ive already thrown this trash in the trash where it belongs and moved on. thank you everyone for trying to help.

Message 14 of 15
Climber66
Aspirant

One thing I haven't seen suggested here yet is resetting to defaults aftre you update FW. It is important for a lot of devices. I know this because I was a FW devleoper for a network device company :-)

When I had trouble with the R7500, just updating didn't make the problem go away. I saved the config in the old FW, updated the FW, reset to defaults and reloaded the old config. Now it's all good.

During a FW update sometimes configurable features are added. And they're not always correctly set during the update to not mess with the customer settings. Resetting to defaults sets ALL the features. And when loading an older style config there's a good chance they get converted correctly.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements