xpm
Star
Star

iPad won't reconnect says password incorrect. Router has to rebooted to connect

Have a new Nighthawk AX4 AX3000 WiFi Router(RAX40) that will not allow a reconnection of iPad or iPhone to the wireless network. The iPad says password incorrect on either the 2.4 or 5 Ghz side. Tried rebooting iPad first but won't connect. Only connects after a reboot of the router.  This happens daily and is very frustrating. Tried changing the channel from auto to a single channel but did not help. The firmware is up todate and the iPad has the latest Apple software. Is there any other setting on the router that I need to change to correct this?

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
rinthos
Luminary

Re: iPad won't reconnect says password incorrect. Router has to rebooted to connect

A few things, first if you are using SMARTCONNECT on your router, I'd recommend turning it off.

Then on your iPAD, I would choose the option to Reset Network Settings.  then re-connect it to your Router.

Finally, if still having the issue, is it possible someone else is broadcasting the same WiFi network name in your area? If so try a different WiFi network name.

Message 2 of 5
xpm
Star
Star

Re: iPad won't reconnect says password incorrect. Router has to rebooted to connect

Thanks for replying:

1. The Smart Connect was already disabled. I noted that in some of the posts on this forum.

2. Going to do a "Forget This Network" on the iPad the next time the problem happens. Which should be no later than tomorrow morning. Seems it always happens when the iPad is off the network for a while.

3. It is possible someone else is broadcasting the same WiFi network name in your are.  But, I think that maybe unlikely but I wiil a different WiFi network name just to make sure.  The network names in the router was the default. The house  where this is located is a good distance from other homes and the walls are made of stone that make it difficult to get a Wi Fi signal to the outside. 

4. Netgear support has already mentioned the "Forget This Network" thing. I begining to think their support has little to be desired at this point.

Thanks again.

Message 3 of 5
Jedi12
Aspirant

My router is doing the exact same thing. I factory reset and changed my WiFi network names, resetting every device. Same result, devices drop the network but doesn’t seem as frequent as before the reset. Also, the nighthawk app says there’s only one device connected, wired, while I’m actively using three other wireless devices on the network. Any advice would be appreciated!
Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 4 of 5
xpm
Star
Star

From all the comments on this forum, they suggest disabling "Smart Connect" which I had already done and it did NOT help. The router is at my daughters home and when it won't reconnect her iPad and iPhone she calls ME and so I would like to get this issue resolved ASSP. Netgear support suggests to use the "Forget This Network" option on the apple devices and if that does not work than reset the router. She is going to do the "Forget This Network" option  the next time she get the Incorrect Password Message on the iPad which happens to be a daily thing. She could be on the network all day and the next morning it won't connect via wireless. The only thing that got her Ipad to connect is to reboot the router. That is not going to be an option because it is just a pain in the ass for the router to come back up. The next thing that was suggested is to change the Network names, which you already have done and I have NOT. There are 13 devices that are connected to the Netgear Nighthawk router and some people have also mentioned that the netgear router just can't handle it and the only thing that works is to buy a new router like ASUS or TPLink etc. People on the forum also suggest that Netgear Support is very lacking in helping to resolve this issue and none of the firmware updates have done nothing to resolve this issue. Good luck with your router and if you find an answer, post it on the forum.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements