internet LED went from white to blinking amber

mph101_33705
Aspirant

internet LED went from white to blinking amber

The white internet net LED has changed to blinking amber. I have both 2.4 and 5 g radios are working. I can't find this problem discussed in the group.  I have done nothing to the router after rolling back to .52 firmware so that I could use the 5 g radio, which wasn't working at all with the current firmware updates (.60 , .62).  The 5g will sometimes go out  and I will have to reboot the device to get it back but thats better than not having it at all on the junk firmware.  Since rolling back to the firmware installed when I purchased this last August I had a solid white internet light,  that was about a month ago,

The router is used for wifi radio only and is hooked to a FIOS gateway which has the wifi radio turned off.

thanks for any help.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Re: internet LED went from white to blinking amber

@mph101_33705 wrote:

The white internet net LED has changed to blinking amber.

Your router is not connecting to the internet.

The router is used for wifi radio only and is hooked to a FIOS gateway which has the wifi radio turned off.

Does this mean that the R7800 is in access point mode?

It should be if you want trouble-free operation on a network that has a second router.

Then again, "gateway" is a term that is thrown around in network circles. It could mean various things. Commonly it is for something that also has phone attachment.

Remember,, when messing around with a network you have to reboot things in the correct order.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 5
mph101_33705
Aspirant

The term I am using gateway regarding FIOS is the router.  FIOS  G1100 is the gateway router required for using a coaxil cable intstead of a ethernet  for a set top box on cable tV and also the internet.  There is no modem on a FIOS hook up the router does both.  Turning the wifi off the FIOS router, which is awful for wifi distance and running a ethernet from a port on the FIOS router to the nighthawk. So the actual connection to the internet is the FIOS G1100 router for hardwired connections (ethernet hardwire to PC) and the nighthawk is used for wifi signal.

The router is set in acess mode.  Both 2.4 g & 5 g wifi is working on all devices.  The only thing that has changed is the white LED on the internet has changed to amber and is flashing.  Everything is working.  I will restart the router and turn off the devices as you suggest. Thanks

Message 3 of 5
antinode
Guru

> [...] The router is set in acess mode. [...]

The R7800-as-Wireless_Access_Point really doesn't need to know
anything about the Internet; it needs only to be able to find the main
router.

If everything works, then I'd guess that the wrong-color/activity
Internet LED is a firmware problem, but not a very important one.

You seem to have tried multiple firmware versions, and, perhaps, both
full-function-router and wireless-access-point modes.  Changing either
of those things could affect the way the Internet LED works.

Message 4 of 5

@mph101_33705 wrote:

The term I am using gateway regarding FIOS is the router.  FIOS  G1100 is the gateway router required for using a coaxil cable intstead of a ethernet  for a set top box on cable tV and also the internet. 

The important bit in there is that this thing is a router. You did not mention that in your first message. As I said, the term gateway is ambiguous. Some gateways are routers, some are not.

@mph101_33705 wrote:

Turning the wifi off the FIOS router, which is awful for wifi distance and running a ethernet from a port on the FIOS router to the nighthawk.

This does not disable the router bit of your FIOS box. That is why, for an  easy life, the R7800 should be in access point (AP) mode. (Not sure if that is what you mean by "access mode".) Unless, that is, you can work out how to disable the router in the FIOS. Then you would connect the PC and other stuff to the R7800.

Everything is working.  I will restart the router and turn off the devices as you suggest. Thanks

So, there is nothing wrong with your network, all you want to do is to get the LED to change its behaviour?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E