Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

/ipconfig /release /renew /flushdns When to do this?

Tkbuc
Guide

/ipconfig /release /renew /flushdns When to do this?

I was told by someone at Best Buy that it is good PC Maintenance to run an ipconfig release/renew/flushdns every couple of months to keep my internet running smoothly, reduce lagging in games, etc.   Is this true or should this be done only when my particular device has internet issues?  Is it truly a maintenance process?

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: /ipconfig /release /renew /flushdns When to do this?

Can be. Up to you the user. Mostly used when having problems on the PC. Possible use after a change out of a router with a new one. 

Message 2 of 7
Tkbuc
Guide

What if you just reset your router to factory settings?  Should I do run that protocol?  Everything is working fine however.

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

You can. I don't. Most resets on the router and setup from scratch will clear IPs and DNS as the router would give out new IP addresses where needed. The time to get thru the setup wizard, IP address timeouts on devices would have expired thus waiting on new IP addresses and DNS configurations would be applied after the router is setup, back online and allowing devices to connect. 

Mostly used for troubleshooting. Up to you though. Doesn't really hurt either. 

Message 4 of 7
Tkbuc
Guide

Thank you!

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 6 of 7
microchip8
Master

I'm on Linux and never had to do the equivalent of the Windows ipconfig /release/renew/flushdns here. I've once had an uptime of 101 days (then new firmware came) and my router has been performing without an issue during these days. I don't know, maybe Windows may need periodically running these commands.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7