Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: iphones will not download apps or updates on wi-fi.

LGB
Aspirant
Aspirant

iphones will not download apps or updates on wi-fi.

Within the past few months I have lost the ability to download any apps or even updates for my apple devices when connected to wifi.  I called Apple to troubleshoot and there is no problem on their end.  I confirmed this by connected to a different wifi router and everything works perfectly.  My Netgear router is working fine otherwise, just will not allow apple downloads. 

I have not reset the router, but have rebooted it and unplugged it a number of times still with no resolution.

I am running the latest version V1.0.1.68_1.0.1.

Any ideas?

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Richard1864
Luminary

I would suggest resetting the router to factory defaults and then redo all the router settings from scratch. And when you do the new network password, only use upper and lower case letters, NO repeat NO special characters. I’ve seen those cause App Stores and other issues with all mobile devices, not just iOS. Same with the admin (router login) password - NO repeat NO special characters, upper and lower case letters and numbers ONLY.

Let us know if that helps.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 11

All Replies
Richard1864
Luminary

On your iPhone(s), go to Settings>General>Reset Network Settings. Your iPhone(s) will reboot and clear out all network settings and DNS caches. Then reconnect to your router and see if that fixed things.

How old are your iPhones, and do you have the latest version of iOS installed on them (iOS version 12.1.2)?
Message 2 of 11
myersw
Master

@Richard1864

Good info for all of us iPhone users. 

Message 3 of 11
LGB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks.  I already cleared everything when talking with Apple Support.  We are using iPhone 7s.  It didn't work.  All phones are running the most up to date ios.

Message 4 of 11
myersw
Master

@LGB

You say you cleared everything with Apple. If you are saying you have things working after talking with them it would be nice of you to share the fix. 

Message 5 of 11
LGB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Unfortunately, even after talking with Apple, and clearing the phones, I still cannot download apps. It is the Netgear router because I can download them in any other WiFi connection.
Message 6 of 11
Richard1864
Luminary

I would suggest resetting the router to factory defaults and then redo all the router settings from scratch. And when you do the new network password, only use upper and lower case letters, NO repeat NO special characters. I’ve seen those cause App Stores and other issues with all mobile devices, not just iOS. Same with the admin (router login) password - NO repeat NO special characters, upper and lower case letters and numbers ONLY.

Let us know if that helps.
Message 7 of 11
myersw
Master

Is the iPhone getting a network connection?

Can you use safari to browse the Internet? This is just a test to see that you do have wireless connection. 

Message 8 of 11
Richard1864
Luminary

Thanks, Bill. Clearing the Network Settings on Android and Windows Mobile devices does the same thing.

For all mobile devices (iOS, Android, Windows, etc.) it’s recommended to reset the Network Settings once a month or so, and every time you update the operating system. That makes sure your cellular modem and Wi-Fi chipsets all have the latest firmware, drivers, and cell tower information.
Message 9 of 11
LGB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your responses.  First, the phones work perfectly over WiFi for everything except downloading apps and downloading any iphone updates.  I'll reset the router to factory settings and try the recommendations of no repeats and let you know if that works.

Message 10 of 11
LGB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Resetting the router to factory setting has resolved the problem.  Thanks for the help.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7