just drops connection

Jim_in_VA
Aspirant

just drops connection

Bought this router a few days ago. Upgraded to new firmware. Now, every half hour or so, it just disconnects and drops connection. Happens with both wired and wireless clients. I have to use the "fix it" in genie to get back online. Pretty sad considering how much I paid for it.
Message 1 of 15
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Re: just drops connection

Jim_in_VA wrote:
Bought this router a few days ago. Upgraded to new firmware. Now, every half hour or so, it just disconnects and drops connection. Happens with both wired and wireless clients. I have to use the "fix it" in genie to get back online. Pretty sad considering how much I paid for it.

Did you do a factory reset back to defaults and then re-enter your settings after upgrading the firmware? If you didn't, give that a try and you might well be surprised!
Message 2 of 15
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Advise on using quote wisely
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=56313

I seen you been lately edited by mod . Make mod's life easier... Smiley Happy
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 15
Redtulips7
Apprentice

Too much rules using quotes!!!this is the only Forum has this limitation!!!Smiley Very Happy
Nighthawk AX12[RAX120]
Nighthawk X10[R9000]
Message 4 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Honestly if posters bothered to search and then read the numerous post before posting they would find the answer 99% of time. The choices are reset, reboot, factory default, re-install FW or update firmware, don't use a saved configuration file when updating, re-enter manually, delete genie from PC, contact support, return for refund. Use of quotes to me is nothing compared to same questions being ask over and over again. I have a r7000 and it does not drop connections. FW.60 I don't care for genie and it has been known to cause some issues in the past.
Message 5 of 15
Jim_in_VA
Aspirant

yeah, you're right about searching for similar posts. My goof. I did the suggestion to factory reset after the firmware upgrade. That did indeed make everything copasetic. Wouldn't you know that my Wisp's tower took a direct lightning hit and knocked out internet access completely, and I'm resetting/rebooting/reconfigureing the router only to find out that it was a problem with Mother Nature - not NetGear
Message 6 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Glad it worked Jim!

I have suggested many times to Netgear Engineering to make the FW updates automatically erase all user settings, this would solve most problems users have. But they choose to ignore it. The update pages says for it to be done, but many still don't follow directions, then show-up here and seek help for a problem which never had to happened.

Even in past Beta Test some actually cry like babies because they have re-enter configs multiple times.

This just proves once again how important it is to follow the directions when changing firmware especially with the dual band Fastest Router In The World.
Message 7 of 15
madhatter
Apprentice

searay wrote:

The choices are reset, reboot, factory default, re-install FW or update firmware, don't use a saved configuration file when updating, re-enter manually, delete genie from PC, contact support, return for refund.

good list. I would add to it:

1) Make sure the MAC Address of the router is the same as the one the ISP thinks should be connected.

2) Alternatively, bypass the router and connect a wired PC to the modem, does the problem still exist?
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 8 of 15
Jim_in_VA
Aspirant

I am curious about making sure the ISP has the correct MAC address. If I buy a new router and MAC changes, how do I update the ISP to the change in hardware?
Message 9 of 15
madhatter
Apprentice

Jim_in_VA wrote:
I am curious about making sure the ISP has the correct MAC address. If I buy a new router and MAC changes, how do I update the ISP to the change in hardware?

simply call their support #. My ISP is sensitive to MAC address changes, some others are not, YMMV
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 10 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Jim_in_VA wrote:
In router setup, internet setup, it gives you several options regarding MAC Address used for WAN
Message 11 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

madhatter wrote:
good list. I would add to it: 1) Make sure the MAC Address of the router is the same as the one the ISP thinks should be connected. 2) Alternatively, bypass the router and connect a wired PC to the modem, does the problem still exist?
These are also good points too. Thanks!
Message 12 of 15
Jim_in_VA
Aspirant

is not "Use Default" not the best option?
Message 13 of 15
madhatter
Apprentice

Jim_in_VA wrote:
is not "Use Default" not the best option?

if you frequently change routers and if your ISP is sensitive to the MAC address, as mine is, then use CLONE MAC ADDRESS and just use the same MAC address for every router.
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 14 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

It can be but some ISP's, Mediacom comes to mind are extremely Anal when it comes to MAC's being different from what you originally signed up with. So to get around it you have several choices which you can choose, none are better than the other regarding service just saves a call to support.
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E