logs showing websites I have not visited

rosieat6
Aspirant

logs showing websites I have not visited

Hi,

I am just wondering why my log activity is showing websites that I have not visited?  It is listing them as allowed websites, and most of them are websites I have been to some time in the past (sometimes up to three years ago though!).  They are not showing up in my internet history (because I haven't gone to them!).  They seem to get logged each time I first start up using the computer for the day, or after a break of a few hours.  I have checked the source, and it is definitely from my computer.

I have googled and looked through the community here, but I can't find why these sites are showing up on the router logs.

Thanks for any advice.

Rosie

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 10
IrvSp
Master

Re: logs showing websites I have not visited

List the sites please. Many 'programs' call home to check you updates, could be those. Many sites do use 3rd party sites for tracking/advertising purposes as well. You could even have a virus that redirects you to a different site. Many possibilities exist why you might be seeing this, but without specifics, hard to determine the reason.

Also, NG logging does report many false positives claiming them to be attacks, but again, without seeing the full log entries, no way to tell.

Message 2 of 10
rosieat6
Aspirant

Thanks for your quick reply.  When I logged back in to the routerlogin page, these came straight up.  These are the most common ones, and are definitely sites I have visited, but they are all from several years ago, with no reason for me to have returned to them.

I appreciate your help, and just want to be sure there isn't a security issue.  I have an imac and I have Malwarebytes on it.

[Site allowed: www.rotary9790.org.au] from source 192.168.1.6, Monday, Mar 04,2019 21:07:42
[Site allowed: www.kerrywhistles.com] from source 192.168.1.6, Monday, Mar 04,2019 21:07:42
[Site allowed: www.rotary9790.org.au] from source 192.168.1.6, Monday, Mar 04,2019 21:07:33
[Site allowed: www.sew-helpful.com] from source 192.168.1.6, Monday, Mar 04,2019 21:07:32
[Site allowed: sew-helpful.com] from source 192.168.1.6, Monday, Mar 04,2019 21:07:31
[Site allowed: www.lehmkuhl.no] from source 192.168.1.6, Monday, Mar 04,2019 21:07:28
[Admin login] from source 192.168.1.6, Monday, Mar 04,2019 21:07:27
[Site allowed: www.sew-helpful.com] from source 192.168.1.6, Monday, Mar 04,2019 21:07:20
[Site allowed: www.lehmkuhl.no] from source 192.168.1.6, Monday, Mar 04,2019 21:07:19
[Site allowed: sew-helpful.com] from source 192.168.1.6, Monday, Mar 04,2019 21:07:19

Message 3 of 10
IrvSp
Master

Very ODD!!!

I didn't have logging for allowed sites on but I set it and applied the setting. I still can't get anything like that?

I can't even see ANY setting that would suggest an allowed site list, Blocked yes, but not allowed?

Soooo... are you sure you are using an R8000? If so, what firmware are you running?

Do you have Parental Controls enabled by chance?

Message 4 of 10
duckware
Prodigy

Is it possible these sites are 'bookmarked', part of a 'feed', or a shortcut stored, or something else -- that your browser or OS is 'checking for updates'.

Message 5 of 10
rosieat6
Aspirant

OK, I have just done some double checking:

The model of the router is definitely this: Nighthawk X6 R8000. I updated to the latest firmware to try and get rid of this problem (but I still have the same problem); I am running V1.0.4.28_10.1.54

I have Parental Controls disabled.

In Advanced>Security>Block Sites>I have Keyword Blocking set to Always, but nothing listed in the boxes for specified Keywords or Domain names.

Thanks again for your help!

Rosie

Message 6 of 10
rosieat6
Aspirant

Hi duckware,

I have had a look through the bookmarks - two of them are in bookmarks, but not the rest.  I am not sure how I would find out what is in a 'feed' or where I might find "stored shortcuts"?

It is so weird - it is like the router is visiting these sites each time I reconnect to the router by waking the computer up, but the computer shows no signs of having been there!

Thanks again!
Rosie

Message 7 of 10
IrvSp
Master

@rosieat6 wrote:

In Advanced>Security>Block Sites>I have Keyword Blocking set to Always, but nothing listed in the boxes for specified Keywords or Domain names.

Mine is set to NEVER, try that and do the APPLY.

It is quite possible the FIRMWARE has some 'keywords' stored in a memory area and the count set to zero? Anything is possible with NG's firmware.

Message 8 of 10
duckware
Prodigy

Back when RSS feeds were a thing, you could add a link to a 'feed' that the web browser would then check for updates behind the scenes for you.

Message 9 of 10
IrvSp
Master

@duckware wrote:

Back when RSS feeds were a thing, you could add a link to a 'feed' that the web browser would then check for updates behind the scenes for you.

Still possible. I use FIrefox and FEEDBRO does that for me... I track 4 or 5 feeds. Icon has a number on it which alerts me to how many feeds are active. Can then open in a tab and read the feeds. Many sites, like REDMOND PIE still have these feeds.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E