Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

low speed and coverage

johnny51380
Aspirant

low speed and coverage

i installed a r8000 and basically used the default settings. my house is an L shape and about 2200 sq ft and this router doesnt cover my whole house. the connection seems slow unless im in the same room as the router. if i do file transfers over the wifi to other devices, it takes a lot longer than when i did it with my r7000. i hooked up a netgear wifi extender but it runs so slow and has an unreliable connection even though its well within range of the router. do i have a defective router or are there settings that supercharge this thing? 

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Re: low speed and coverage

Hi johnny51380,

Try to remove the genie software and changed channel for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi johnny51380,

What is the firmware version of the router?

What is your subscribe speed?

Is it slow on 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz?

Message 2 of 7
johnny51380
Aspirant

firmware 1.03.54

through spectrum i am suppose to get 60mps. when i do a independent test i get 70mps. when i do the test through netgear genie i get like 30mps. 

when i go to the furthest spot in the house i still have wifi bars and when i connect to either 2.4 or 5ghz it says signal is fair and about 65mps connection speed but when i try to do anything online its pretty much a lost cause and it disconnects wifi and tries to connect to a different one. 

Message 3 of 7
JamesGL
Master

Hi johnny51380,

What did you use to test the speed when you get 70Mbps? Is it connected to the router?

Message 4 of 7
johnny51380
Aspirant

i used a desktop computer directly wired to the router. i used an online speed test. 

Message 5 of 7
JamesGL
Master

Hi johnny51380,

Try to remove the genie software and changed channel for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

Message 6 of 7
JamesGL
Master

Hi johnny51380,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7