Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: modem/router combo

Daddysmell
Guide

modem/router combo

I have spectrum internet with a LAN LINE and I want a one piece combo can anyone help me with the combo? I have 100mbps right now looking to upgrade to 400mbps in the near future or would it be better to buy other router? Again Im looking at just having one piece combo. (I E) I have a LAN LINE 

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 39

Accepted Solutions
IrvSp
Master

@xnsys wrote:

OK, then it looks as though the internet is provided by a "F" type connector, which is coaxal.

You would need to confirm, but this may suit your needs

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/cable-modems-routers/C7800.aspx

While it probably would, Spectrum CAN get fussy when non-approved devices connect to them. First when you install it you'll need to call them to 'approve' the MAC address and make it useable. I've heard stories from others that they refused to do that as the device was NOT on the list of approved devices, others where the phone agent did it without question, and still others that it was connected at first and some time later disconnected from the network and they couldn't get it authorized again.

That is also a $400 modem from Amazon. Even if Spectrum charged $10/mo. for wireless that would take 40 months to recover the cost. Not a wise investment in my book...

View solution in original post

Message 22 of 39

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

@Daddysmell wrote:

I have spectrum internet with a LAN LINE and I want a one piece combo can anyone help me with the combo? I have 100mbps right now looking to upgrade to 400mbps in the near future or would it be better to buy other router? Again Im looking at just having one piece combo. (I E) I have a LAN LINE 

Since you have Spectrum, be aware at this point they DO NOT have ANY DOCSIS 3.1 modems on the 'approved' list. Highest speed for any that are approved is 300Mbps. However, I just checked, but I have Spectrum that was Brighthouse before. It seems that list was updated lately though. They do have modems and modem/routers that now are DOCSIS 3.1 and up to speeds of 400Mbps. This LINK might work for you, when I use it is sends me the MYBRIGHTHOUSE.COM on a redirect.

Spectrum also doesn't charge for Modems and I beleive Wireless is include as free. Using the one they would provide would cover you in  case of damage (device failure, lightning hit) and if they should go to 1Gbps (which is rumored to be soon where I live). Even if the wireless should cost $5/mo. it would take many months to recover the cost of anything you might buy.

Message 2 of 39
xnsys
Luminary

@Daddysmell wrote:

Where are you based?  There are several ISP's called Spectrum Internet round the globe.

Message 3 of 39
Daddysmell
Guide

Buford, Georgia 

Message 4 of 39
xnsys
Luminary

So not UK Cardiff then lol

OK, so this is the ISP.

What is the physical connection that plugs into the router/modem?

Message 5 of 39
Daddysmell
Guide

what do you mean?

I have cable modem and a nighthawk router.

I'm just looking for a combo, but I dont know the difference between a combo and a me having a modem and a router?

I'm a netgear person.

Message 6 of 39
xnsys
Luminary

Is the connection a coxal one that comes into the modem?

Message 7 of 39
Daddysmell
Guide

Ethernet cable. What I'm trying to do is Upgrade my wifi. 100 mbps is cool but I'm trying to get the highest!!! Hint Hint!!! Plus I wish I could get infinty because of what they offer

Message 8 of 39
xnsys
Luminary

Am I right in that you want to get rid of the modem and replace everything with just a standard single unit, that has a good WiFi speed?

Message 9 of 39
Daddysmell
Guide

If I can!!! But I want to purchase a c7100 but charter/spectrum only offer a c7000 1nas what ever that means.

Message 10 of 39
Daddysmell
Guide

I dont need a voice. I use my cell phone all the time!!!!

Message 11 of 39
xnsys
Luminary

Do you know what the model of the current modem is?

Message 12 of 39
Daddysmell
Guide

arris tm1602

Message 13 of 39
IrvSp
Master

@Daddysmell, not sure who you were replying to. To make is clear, when replying, type the 'at sign, @' and you'll see a list of people in the thread and then select the one you are replying to if the reply is specific to one person in the thread.

A 'combo' is just that. A single using. Spectrum where I live, Central Florida ONLY uses Arris modems, a standalone, a standalone with phone eMTA (TM1602AP2), a combo modem/router, and a combo modem/router/eMTA (TGM16x2A). There ARE Netgear solutions as well.

In my area, ONLY the CM600 is on the Approved like, and is for speeds up to 400Mbps, it is MODEM ONLY, and DOCSIS 3.0. There are NO Modem/Router combo's not DOCSIS 3.1 devices on the list.

I suggest you call your local office or Spectrum Support and ask them what you can connect in terms of combo modem/routers.

Message 14 of 39
xnsys
Luminary

OK, then it looks as though the internet is provided by a "F" type connector, which is coaxal.

Message 15 of 39
IrvSp
Master

@Daddysmell wrote:

arris tm1602

That is NOT a good modem, it is a PUMA 6 chip, subject to LAG, and IPv6 usage and cause it to re-boot (Google that modem). I had a LOT of problems with it as well.

Message 16 of 39
Daddysmell
Guide

sorry new to this

@IrvSp

@xnsys

Message 17 of 39
xnsys
Luminary

@Daddysmell wrote:

sorry new to this

@IrvSp

@xnsys

Understood, and we will do what we can to help 🙂

Have a look at the link I posted above, that may be able to do what you need - you would need to ideally speak with the ISP and confirm in the first instance, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Message 18 of 39
Daddysmell
Guide

@xnsys

I have charter where I'm at not Infinty

Message 19 of 39
Daddysmell
Guide

@IrvSp

What do you suggest?

like I said I'm i will pay for the best 

Message 20 of 39
xnsys
Luminary

@Daddysmell wrote:

@xnsys

I have charter where I'm at not Infinty

Do you have any links to the product so I can see the difference?  Hoping for some clues as to the connection and if there is anything to indicate what can and cannot be used.

Message 21 of 39
IrvSp
Master

@xnsys wrote:

While it probably would, Spectrum CAN get fussy when non-approved devices connect to them. First when you install it you'll need to call them to 'approve' the MAC address and make it useable. I've heard stories from others that they refused to do that as the device was NOT on the list of approved devices, others where the phone agent did it without question, and still others that it was connected at first and some time later disconnected from the network and they couldn't get it authorized again.

That is also a $400 modem from Amazon. Even if Spectrum charged $10/mo. for wireless that would take 40 months to recover the cost. Not a wise investment in my book...

Message 22 of 39
Daddysmell
Guide

@xnsys

I dont understand???Smiley Indifferent

Message 23 of 39
Daddysmell
Guide

@IrvSp

I dont have  XFINITY