are you still there

Message 26 of 39
xnsys
Luminary

Re: modem/router combo

@Daddysmell wrote:

@xnsys

Are you still here?

Sorry, just had to turn my roast potatoes over lol - I'm in the UK and it's getting to dinner time 🙂

What I'm after is a link to the ISP porduct pages, so I can see what they are offering, I'm looking for clues as to what can or cannot be done in order to give you accurate advice.

Message 27 of 39
Daddysmell
Guide

Message 28 of 39
Daddysmell
Guide

@IrvSp

no more help

Message 29 of 39
IrvSp
Master

@Daddysmell wrote:

@IrvSp

What do you suggest?

like I said I'm i will pay for the best 

I have a Spectrum Phone, so I need an eMTA... and again, NO USER OWNED eMTA's are approved. There is a CHARTER forum on DSLREPORTS and when I was having modem problems there someone offered me a stand-alone eMTA they had to try. I declined, don't need my phone cut-off.

I might be in sort of a different situation due to that need. Prior to Spectrum buy Brighthouse I was charged $4/mo. for the modem lease. I could buy my own approved modem for around $80 but I decided against it. 20 months to recover the cost wasn't worth it to me. Besides, I've had modems replaced here almost every other year and they go bad. I think one reason the unit MUST be approved and THEY will rollout firmware updates after testing the modems will not cause problems. Hence why they sometimes refuse to allow modems not authorized and have NO combo unit authorized now.

I am what is called Legacy-Brighthouse, and I'm still being billed as on BH due to living in a development that has an Home Owner Association that has contracted with Brighthouse to provide TV that is paid via our dues. So I can't move to Spectrum pricing as I'll lose the HOA paid TV (around $30+/mo.). Due to that I'm still paying to 'rent' the modem monthly as well as a $35 charge to use 100Mbps service which is standard in the price (which will be higher than standard BH Internet (60Mbps) plus the upcharge to 100Mbps) for Spectrum here.

So I'm still using the Spectrum provided modem/eMTA and have my own R8000 router. Actually because of all the problem I had with the TM1602AP2 they swapped it out to an Arris TGM1672A and the router function is disabled. Still a crummy modem/router as it too is a PUMA 6 chipset. All units Spectrum have here are PUMA 6. Only way out, buy my own modem, but I can't due to the need for an eMTA. However Spectrum is willing to leave the old modem and split it out for use as a standalone eMTA if I do buy my own APPROVED modem that doesn't have the PUMA 6 chipset... but I'll at least wait for the 1Gbps (supposed rumor is July), but I'm pretty sure the cost might be prohibitive. They do have either 300 or 400Mbps here now, another $60 I recall and I balked at that, I can imagine what 1Gbps would cost.

Message 30 of 39
Daddysmell
Guide

@IrvSp

Ok can you speak to me like a kid.

What you just said to me went way way over my had. 

If you try to sale me a car I just purchased it. LOL Smiley Embarassed

Message 31 of 39
Daddysmell
Guide

@IrvSp

So how do you like the spider(R8000)?

Message 32 of 39
Daddysmell
Guide

@IrvSp

I started to get the new R9000

Message 33 of 39
IrvSp
Master

@Daddysmell, sure....

Listen sonny 🙂

Basically it boils down to in my case at least, it isn't worth it.

I get Internet Phone from Spectrum over cable. That requires a special device, called an eMTA to turn the cable phone signal into a phone line signal. Spectrum DOES NOT allow User owned eMTA's to be put on their network. So I'll always need a Spectrum modem running.

So now the question is can I get a Modem that doesn't have a PUMA 6 chipset in it (Google that for more info, but it had to do with the guts of the modem and how it works). On top of that, modems come in different 'protocols' they can handle. ISP Speeds determine which 'type' of modem one requires. Speed today at this time mostly default to DOCSIS 3.0 modems (again, Google for more info). Higher speeds from the ISP, usually 300Mbps or higher require DOCSIS 3.1. Basically is means the speeds that the modem has the capability to handle, you don't need to know any more actually.

So now with that in mind you can start looking at combination units. Those are both a modem and a router in one unit. Generally speaking, those types of units may not be as good a solution as individual modem and router used together. One major problem, WILL Spectrum even allow you hook up a combination unit to its network, no, forget about doing that.

OK, they will, now consider cost to you. Spectrum will provide to you a combination modem/router (like the Arris TG172G) FREE (I don't think there is a wireless charge, but if there is, it is around $5/mo,).

The Netgear unit mentioned above costs $400 via Amazon. Do the math. 80 months to cover the cost. Almost 7 years... and a LOT can happen in 7 years. Hardware failure, lightning strike, changing ISP's, you move, etc. Is it worth having your own combo unit. Not to me...

However the Router itself, different story. Things change in the house. New devices get added (Nest thermostats, Internet connected devices, fridges, Echo's, Smart TV's, etc.) and the load on a router gets saturated. New wireless versions arrive, AD devices with much faster speeds are coming very soon... and your old router can't handle it, much less a combo unit that generally has less router features and capabilities.

You can draw your own conclusions.

Message 34 of 39
Daddysmell
Guide

@IrvSp

thats better I understand a little. So stay with what I have a move on? 

Message 35 of 39
IrvSp
Master

@Daddysmell wrote:

@IrvSp

So how do you like the spider(R8000)?

Only had it for a month so far. No problems... and I'm using SMART CONNECT for the 5Ghz band and that seems to work well.

We have 2 PC's basically on most of the time, one wired, one wireless AC device (866Mbps connect speed to modem). 2 iPad Pro's, Printer, an Echo, Smart TV (hardly uses the Internet but it can), Smart DVD player (can use the Internet but rarely does), FireTV stick, and when the grandkids are over, many iPhones, game boxes, and laptops connect. I am NOT using the Guest network for them, probably should...

I did have an R7000 before it started to get flakey, so to me this is basically an R7000 with 2 5Ghz bands... (and some other features and improvements).

You mentioned the R9000... I looked at that unit too, $170 more by the way. Faster CPU and has 6 network cable ports (I don't use more than 2 now), 2 USB 3.0 ports (vs. 1 each USB 2.0 and 3.0). AD wireless capable (not really many available today and for now, AC works fine for us), but the 10Gbps NAS port might have gotten me to get it IF I was going to go the NAS route soon.

Hey, it is ONLY money, right!

Message 36 of 39
Daddysmell
Guide

@IrvSp

got it! 

Thank you for letting me know all of this information!

I'm still upset because I have these 2 big pieces of equipment sitting on my computer desk.

Message 37 of 39
Daddysmell
Guide

Have a great evening!

Message 38 of 39
William10a
Master

You can hide the Arris tm1602 it will wall mount I have my wall mounted in a corner, you will need to make your own pattern for the screw holes for the two mountig channels on the bottom of the modem my had two but three slots in the manual for the modem online.

I have the same Arris modem, a R6260 router, an Arlo camera system and all seem to work together just fine. I also live in Florida and have my phone with Spectrum so I have to keep their modem.

Message 39 of 39
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 38 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7