modem to router connection

tiny4me2
Aspirant

Re: That device is a USB to Ethernet adapter. It has nothing...

Hmm ty. THAT I understand. The 2.0 and 3.0 adapter is what i was referring to earlier. As you stated my comp is old even for being a dell. Mine is the 1000 gig version of the adapter. Now i understand the light on my modem as you explained the capacity of my router.
My question for u is...even though i have an ethernet port on the back of my computer...(as someone showed me the Ethernet card that was installed was a 2.0) are the newer model comp only usb or can i get someone to install a 3.0 ethernet card?
If i can ss the page they found it on i will update it for clarification.
Message 26 of 29
tiny4me2
Aspirant

Oh and the purpose of the adapter was because direct connection from the modem to the computer via the Ethernet cable made the modem flash yellowish orange. I c now that my comp is old, but the lan connection i have...can it be upgraded where i don't have to use the adapter?
Message 27 of 29

@tiny4me2 wrote:
My question for u is...even though i have an ethernet port on the back of my computer...(as someone showed me the Ethernet card that was installed was a 2.0) are the newer model comp only usb or can i get someone to install a 3.0 ethernet card?

If you have a LAN port on the back of the PC, my first move would be to find out its specifications. Is it 100 Mbps or 1000 Mbps (gigabit).

@tiny4me2 wrote:

My question for u is...even though i have an ethernet port on the back of my computer...(as someone showed me the Ethernet card that was installed was a 2.0)

Once again, there is no such thing as a 2.0 Ethernet card. It will be 100 Mbps or 1000 Mbps. You can get PC cards that combine Ethernet and USB, but the 2.0 will describe the USB, not the Ethernet.

If the on-board LAN port is 1000 Mbps, use that and work out what else is going on on your network.

If your internet speed is less than 100 Mbps, it won't make much difference. In any case, even if you have 1000 Mbps LAN ports on your PC, the router will not go any faster than 100 Mbps.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 28 of 29

@tiny4me2 wrote:
the Ethernet cable made the modem flash yellowish orange.

What lights on the modem flashed?

Flashing lights usually show you that there is traffic on the device.

@tiny4me2 wrote:

the lan connection i have...can it be upgraded where i don't have to use the adapter?

See other message.

• Take LAN cable.
  • Plug one end into back of PC.
  • Plug other end into (black) LAN port back of router.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 29 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E