Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

modem to wifi router compatibility

didier13
Aspirant

modem to wifi router compatibility

I have a Nighthawk X4S AC2600 4x4 R7800-100 NAS and I want to use a Netgear CM 700 modem. Is it a good pairing. I stream.

Thank you

Didier

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: modem to wifi router compatibility

@didier13 wrote:

I have a Nighthawk X4S AC2600 4x4 R7800-100 NAS and I want to use a Netgear CM 700 modem. Is it a good pairing. I stream.

Thank you

Didier

its a great pairing but it all depends on what your isp supports for modems and what speeds you're paying for or plan on paying for as its rated to 500mbps download speeds.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

@didier13 wrote:

Thank you

Didier

its a great pairing but it all depends on what your isp supports for modems and what speeds you're paying for or plan on paying for as its rated to 500mbps download speeds.

Message 2 of 6
myersw
Master

@didier13 wrote:

Thank you

Didier

Is the cm700 on the ISP's list of approved modems? You cannot just go buy a modem and slap it onto the ISP's network and expect it to work if not on the approved list. If the cm700 is then, yes this should work well for you. My Netgear modem has performed well, much better then the cheap junk modem Comcast provided.

Message 3 of 6
didier13
Aspirant

Thank you. My ISP is Spectrum and I sometimes get speeds up to 97 but in the afternoon most of the times it drops to 15/20. Spectrum rents me ( $ 10:00 a month) a modem but I have not been able to get the specs on it. I can get the CM 700 for $ 99.00 at Walmart and even with a 3 years warranty for $ 11:00, I feel I would be in a better shape.

Well thanks for your advice,

Didier

Message 4 of 6
myersw
Master

@didier13 wrote:

Thank you. My ISP is Spectrum and I sometimes get speeds up to 97 but in the afternoon most of the times it drops to 15/20. Spectrum rents me ( $ 10:00 a month) a modem but I have not been able to get the specs on it. I can get the CM 700 for $ 99.00 at Walmart and even with a 3 years warranty for $ 11:00, I feel I would be in a better shape.

Well thanks for your advice,

Didier

That modem is on their approved list it seems. 

https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/compliant-modems-charter-network/

Message 5 of 6
IrvSp
Master

@didier13 wrote:

Thank you. My ISP is Spectrum and I sometimes get speeds up to 97 but in the afternoon most of the times it drops to 15/20.

Very odd... more details would help here, but I for one do not think it is the Modem causing this?

Since you didn't say what the modem is, I sort of suspect it is a combo modem/router? I also suspect it is NOT bridged, but also putting out a wireless signal?

@didier13 wrote:

Spectrum rents me ( $ 10:00 a month) a modem but I have not been able to get the specs on it.

If you posted the Modem make and model it shouldn't be hard to get the spec's with a simple Google search.

I've got Spectrum and THEY DO NOT CHARGE for a modem... old company (Brighthouse) that they merged with did. Then it was only $5, not $10, BUT is you had WIRELESS there was another $5 charge. Suspect you have a Legacy account at Spectrum, not a Spectrum account, and have Wireless option, hence the $10 charge.

You do NOT need Wireless from the Modem, have Spectrum BRIDGE that, you'll probably find things work better.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7