jomitch1
Initiate

netgear model r6850: connectivity inconsistency

AC2000 Smart WiFi Router

Model: R6850

Purchased 08/2021

Issues noticed 11/15/2021, firmware was on 1.1.0.78

Firmware upgrade to 1.1.0.84 on 11/29/2021, issues continue

My partner and I work from home, often on Video calls throughout the business week (Zoom and MS Teams, primarily).  Other network usage during the buisness day is primarily standard browser traffic, email, chat software, and little to no streaming like YouTube, etc. at the same time.  During the day typically two laptops are used (though other devices are connected, i.e. 3 cell phones, 2 Rokus, they aren't being actively used). 

I have issues with frequent single drop to persistent network drops, particularly with these calls, though not exclusively, resulting in dropped calls and no network connectivity. I have us both running persistent pings from a command prompt to help as a crude connectivity monitor during the business day, and with this "tool" can observe the significance of my outage, whether it is brief or more significant.  When this behavior is frequent enough to need to shift to tethering to my phone for network, I reboot the router and I am good for a while.  If no calls are occurring and it is just non-streaming data being used, this issue seems far less frequent.  It occurs, just not nearly as often.  I am currently rebooting the router at least once a day, but today is a heavy business-call day for us both and I have rebooted three times today with half of the business day to go.

We have engaged the ISP twice to come on location and confirm coaxial internet cable integrity, and signal strength is good / consistent both inside and outside of the house.  At this point, I am fairly confident that the ISP line is good and working as expected.  Network load tests (when the connection is stable) both with the Router tool and the ISP tool present statistics consistent with the service that is provided (28.2 download, 5.8 upload).  Though I know that the service I have is not top tier, it should be sufficient enough to handle two concurrent calls (and it historically has been successful). 

The outage behavior seemed to be somewhat sudden with firmware 1.1.0.78 where I had been running on that version for quite some time with these same conditions error-free, but after issues became very frequent recently, I chose to update the firmware.  I saw some brief relief with an upgrade to 1.1.0.84 for a business day, but am back to the same issue.  I cannot say whether it is better or worse, as it was pretty bad before I upgraded.  Bypassing the router and plugging directly into the Modem does not have the same issue, but that clearly is changing the conditions, as I don't have multiple devices with their own demands for network over the same shared line.

Any thoughts to next steps / feedback?  Thank you all in advance.

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: netgear model r6850: connectivity inconsistency

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Are you wired or wireless connected to the router when this happens? 

Message 2 of 3
jomitch1
Initiate

Re: netgear model r6850: connectivity inconsistency

Great questions (I somehow omitted those details)!

We are both connected wirelessly, and am about 20 ft from the Router.  To that point, I have not confirmed if a wired connection exhibits the same symptoms, so I should probably investigate that further.

The ISP Modem is an Arris Touchstone SB6183.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7