Highlighted
Aspirant

netgear r9000 drops internet connectivity when hopping between wifi APs

Hi I have a strange issue with my X10.

So my situation is as follows. I live in Singapore and have a singtel fibre subscription. The singtel setup is as such that you need their fibre network terminal to be the router. there is no way around that. I have a large apartment and their wifi (nor the X10) will cover the whole house. I have not created anything like a mesh network yet so currently to cover I have three different APs providing wifi. Each of them has a different SSID name but they are all on the same network. the Singtel modem is not wifi equipped so that is the 4th device doing nothing else than providing Internet access and serving as the router providing IP addresses.

The three AP devices are the following

1) Netgear r9000 in AP mode

2) A singtel wifi router in AP mode

3) a netgear extender model 6120 also wired connected to the modem and also configured as an AP

The issue is as follows

when I move around the house  (predominantly tested this with apple devices such as ipad and iphone), and see the wifi strength of the X10 diminish, i manually switch to the other AP or my phone wil ultimately just do it. With every switch the phone will gain access back to the internet in seconds except..... when I switch back to the netgear X10. There the wheel keeps spinning and the phone indicates that the wifi network has no internet connectivity (which is not true as other devices that stay on that network have no issues at all).

It looks like maybe an IP address conflict that the network thinks the phone is still on the previous AP/SSIP but the weird thing is... this only happens when hopping ONTO the X10.... not with the other 2 APs in the home

Apologies for the longwinded story.. anyone have any idea what is going on here? I have looked in the settings of my X10 but see limited options to change any configuration.. Also a minor weird thing is ... the location for my device geo is set to United States (where it was bought) but see absolutely no option to change this (greyed out) even when doing a factory reset. I doubt though that this is causing this specific problem.

my firmware version is 1.0.2.40 and could ofcourse try to update this manually as the update function in the router interface tells me that this is the latest version. I believe that is not the case though.

thanks for you help!

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: netgear r9000 drops internet connectivity when hopping between wifi APs

Welcome to the community, @asaweli

Have you tried changing the channel on the router? 

You may want to try to play around with the channels to see which channel is best to use. 

Having the router in AP mode, you will really be in a limited option it can only provide wireless access. 

As of this writing, your router is already using the latest firmware for the router. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 2 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi thanks for getting back to me.. I just got back from vacation and I will try this out. Is there a preferred channel I should change the wifi to or does that not really matter?

Message 3 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi I tried various channels but it does not work. Every time my devices jumps to the wifi of the R9000 the signal of the wifi is strong (super strong) but it states no internet connectivity for 3 to 4 minutes after which it realizes that is untrue.. I am using the R9000 as an AP together with two other APs in the house each with their own SSID.. for all the other APs (including a netgear extender) the devices hop easily but for the R9000 there is this issue?

any other possible solutions before I store a $600 machine in the closet as it is more of a nuisance than a help to me at this stage?

Message 4 of 11
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That's strange.

Can you try to reinstall the firmware and then do a hard reset after.

Once done, reconfigure the router to be in AP mode and see if it will help.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 5 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi Elaine

I did this and did not change anything else so even kept the default SSID name and network but same result after updated firmware and hard reset.. whenever I join wifi ,, it shows no internet connectivity for a 3 minutes and only then joins the wifi network :-(

anything I can do?

Message 6 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

Any other suggestions on this one please? It is a very annoying issue and I just dont know how to resolve it myself

thanks

Message 7 of 11
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Kindly register the device in order for us to log a case.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 8 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi Elaine, I need help with this. When I try to register the device it says

This Serial number has already been registered in our system by a support representative

Message 9 of 11
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please PM me the Serial Number of the router.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 10 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

I believe I am also scheduled now for a call with your colleagues from level 2 support should I wait for that or move ahead with this in parallel?
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements