Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

networking r7000 router

djaynes13
Aspirant

networking r7000 router

I just upgraded my router from a WNDR4500v2 to a Nighthawk r7000. I was able to plug in my an external hard drive into WNDR4500 and it would be recognized by my roku devices and andriod tv boxes, which meant I could play any of the movie titles from my library. When I connect the r7000 and plug in my external hard drive none of my other devices can find it. Why can't I get my other devices to recognize of find my external hard drive? 

Very frustrating. 

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
IrvSp
Master

Re: networking r7000 router

Firmware on the R7000 please?

If it IS the latest (the one with Armour included), Netgear REMOVED the DLNA Server and that is the cause of your problem. Go back to V1.0.9.42 and you should be OK, but you can never upgrade the f/w again. Better of getting a router from another vendor if you want to stay currect with Security fixes.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Which drive is it? Have you checked your hard drive compatibility?

https://kb.netgear.com/18985/Will-my-USB-drive-work-with-ReadySHARE

As well as the format?

https://kb.netgear.com/24059/What-are-the-USB-drive-requirements-for-my-Nighthawk-router

One other thing to check is that the R7000 was upgraded with Armor support. This removed dlna (and some other features). The most agreed upon version that is stable and doesn't have Armor is the .42 version of the firmware. You can try downgrading and see if this helps. 

Message 2 of 6
IrvSp
Master

Firmware on the R7000 please?

If it IS the latest (the one with Armour included), Netgear REMOVED the DLNA Server and that is the cause of your problem. Go back to V1.0.9.42 and you should be OK, but you can never upgrade the f/w again. Better of getting a router from another vendor if you want to stay currect with Security fixes.

Message 3 of 6
djaynes13
Aspirant

Thanks for the info.

I have tried multiple external hard drives, none work.

Luckily, I was able to return the router for a full refund.

Now I need to find a router that is an upgrade from my old router and will network out my hard drive.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again

Message 4 of 6
djaynes13
Aspirant

The router does have that Armour included. Luckily I was able to return the router for a full refund. Any suggestions on a router that is comparable and will network my external hard drive?

Thanks for your response, your help.

Message 5 of 6
IrvSp
Master

@djaynes13 wrote:

Thanks for the info.

I have tried multiple external hard drives, none work.

Luckily, I was able to return the router for a full refund.

Now I need to find a router that is an upgrade from my old router and will network out my hard drive.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again

Not knowing WHY it didn't work, there is no assurance it would work on any other vendor's router? Assumption is that the removal of DLNA Server was the cause is only a guess here. If it was, I'd look for another router that specifically has DLNA Server listed as included. I'd personally  stay away from Netgear in this search as they appear to be removing DLNA Server from f/w to add in Armour.

I would 'alert you' to this adding of a security protection may not be the only vendor who has added such features. They might have also removed other you use or could use. Planning ahead for such a happening would be advised. Look for routers that DO HAVE some security protection include and ALL the features you need or think you will need.

ASUS, D-Link, TP-Link, and LinkSys are some (but not all) suggestions to look at. Some will have protection AND other features like DLNA, but maybe NOT all of the same that the R7000 included.

I have an R7000 that was dying and decided to get the R8000, as I could use a Tri-Band. Well, NG screwed me too, they removed DLNA support from the R8000. I was NOT going to chance staying on older f/w and possibly opening myself up to some security attach as I couldn't or wouldn't upgrade to newer f/w that had the fix/protection for it. Could NOT return a work R8000 as I had it over a year as well. So I 'bit the bullet' as I do use DLNA myself and got another Tri-Band router with DLNA support. It was a TP-Link and it has Trend Micro included in the f/w for protection and DLNA Server. There are a few models that have Trend Micro in it, but NOT all. Unlike Netgear, it seems that TP-Link created a new A Series that included Trend Micro that has many models like the older C Series that does not have Trend Micro included. I might also say that there is a significant difference in the included protection pricing. Netgear, 90 days free, $79/yr. after that. TP-Link, 3 years free, and since it is so new, NO pricing set yet for after the 3 years.

Something else to ponder when making a vendor switch. How is its service and reputation. Check REVIEWS of models you are interested in AND look at any forums you can find. Some are quite busy, some are not, and in other cases, the vendor doesn't even have a support forum on the web (maybe be in some non-vendor site without vendor personnel in it).

PM me if you are curious to what I bought.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7