Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

nighthawk AC2100 login issue

john2459
Aspirant

nighthawk AC2100 login issue

Hi all,

Just upgraded my old Cradlepoint router to a nighthawk AC2100. The setup went well and it works very well and the range is awesome.  The problem I am having is that when I try to log into the router via the browser window it takes me to this airOS login page and none of the user names/password combo work, I keep getting Invalid credentials message. Has anybody had this problem before? I have used the user name/password I setup when setting up the router via the app, I looked on the net and found “admin / admin” or “nothing / nothing” but no combo has any success. Any clues? Thanks in advance.

Model: AC2100|Nighthawk AC2100 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions

Re: nighthawk AC2100 login issue

@john2459 wrote:

...it appears to be “Hijacking” the IP address before it gets to the router.

It is not "hijacking" the IP address. The airOS box in front of the router is another router. So you have two routers on a network, which is  bad idea.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router. Sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The manual you linked to tells me that I would be out of my depth if I tried to work out how to get your airOS thing into modem only mode. You should be able to get that information from your ISP. Just ask them what you have to do to use their thing with your own router.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies

@john2459 wrote:

The problem I am having is that when I try to log into the router via the browser window it takes me to this airOS login page and none of the user names/password combo work, I keep getting Invalid credentials message.

What is the modem, if there is one, in front of this router?

@john2459 wrote:

Any clues?

Sounds like the modem in front of this router could be a modem/router and that is intercepting attempts to login to the router.

Message 2 of 4
john2459
Aspirant

Thanks for all the replies so fast.

I did some more research and this is what I found. I’m with SECOM for internet, and they primarily use this microwave (I think) LOS antenna system to a tower several miles away. This antenna system https://dl.ubnt.com/guides/airOS/airOS_UG.pdf from what I’m seeing seems to be on the front end prior to the Netgear so as you said it appears to be “Hijacking” the IP address before it gets to the router. So I wonder if there is a solution to this problem as long as I have this ISP. Thanks again for all the comments and help.

John

Model: AC2100|Nighthawk AC2100 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 4

@john2459 wrote:

...it appears to be “Hijacking” the IP address before it gets to the router.

It is not "hijacking" the IP address. The airOS box in front of the router is another router. So you have two routers on a network, which is  bad idea.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router. Sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The manual you linked to tells me that I would be out of my depth if I tried to work out how to get your airOS thing into modem only mode. You should be able to get that information from your ISP. Just ask them what you have to do to use their thing with your own router.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7