nighthawk R8300 Wifi Requires reboot every 2 days after firmware update

algGtown
Aspirant

nighthawk R8300 Wifi Requires reboot every 2 days after firmware update

My model is actually an R8300 not R8500.  R8300 wasn't a choice on the menu.

The router performed flawlessly for over a year, and started having issues immediately after the 1.0.2.122 firmware update.

The update worked fine and I did a factory reset, and restored my configuration from a backup.

Since then, the Wifi completely quits (both 2.4 and 5ghs) until the router is rebooted, then is fine again for about 2 days.  Any wired connection never has a problem, even when the wifi is down.

The UI shows the wifi status box with a yellow background, so the router apparently knows the wifi is down.  I can't seem to find any documentation on what the yellow background means.

Does anybody have any ideas? 

If I could downrev and go back to the original firmware, I would, but it is apparently not available.

Thanks,

Alan

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
bratwinget
Aspirant

Re: nighthawk R8300 Wifi Requires reboot every 2 days after firmware update

The wifi rescued part where it will be going to proceed it for the service which is going to provide the part around it so this will be providing the hp australia support where you need to require the work part and the firmware update will be going to.accept it.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 2 of 6

@algGtown wrote:

....I did a factory reset, and restored my configuration from a backup.

That can be a big mistake. The restore bit. It can bring issues back from the dead.

Try a reset without restoring the settings.

Painful, I know, but often the only answer.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 6
algGtown
Aspirant

Huh?  This makes no sense....

@bratwinget wrote:

The wifi rescued part where it will be going to proceed it for the service which is going to provide the part around it so this will be providing the hp australia support where you need to require the work part and the firmware update will be going to.accept it.

Message 4 of 6
algGtown
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

@algGtown wrote:

....I did a factory reset, and restored my configuration from a backup.

That can be a big mistake. The restore bit. It can bring issues back from the dead.

Doing a reset and manually reconfiguring the settings seems to have worked, at least for now.

The next question is why Netgear has a backup/restore function that is useless for firmware upgrades ?

Is it just me or would one normally expect that a reliable working backup/restore capability would be one of the reliable core functions of any router ?  Netgear needs to get some real engineers/system architects .

Thanks for the advice,

Alan

Try a reset without restoring the settings.

Painful, I know, but often the only answer.

Message 5 of 6
myersw
Master

Welcome to the wonderful world of crap firmware from Netgear. Return or sell and buy something else. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E