Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

nighthawk R8500

jdwerosa21
Aspirant

nighthawk R8500

Do not buy the Nighthawk R8500 router. It does not live up to it's expectations of covering 4,000 feet. It will not even give a good signal at 30 feet with only half walls and hallways. It was the most expensive and I have not had any lucj with it or the Gearheads support group. they just keep changing channels It has been very disappointing.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
jdwerosa21
Aspirant

Re: nighthawk R8500

Thaks for your response. I definitely agree now that one unti will not cover 4,000 square feet. Netgear should re think their marketing and what they present on their packaging. I paid over $400 and I would have expected much better performance. I have added a Netgear Acess Point WNDPA620 and two Linksys R6500 extenders and I now have a somewhat adequate coverage at a very high expense. I hope the new Orbi's or google routers coming out change WIFI coverage.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
mondenath
Prodigy

May be the stock firmware doesnt live upto your expectation. Try installing opensources fimrware if that solves your problem.

Basically its test equipment with active antenna's without proper driver to adjust the environment its hard to judge.

Message 2 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@ 70' I have 4 bars of signal using a quality laptop. Not all wifi clients are created equal regarding WIFI r8500 @ 70'.png

Message 3 of 8
jdwerosa21
Aspirant

Thank you for your response. I am not familiar with open firmware. Can you explain where I get it and how to install it?

Thank you

Message 4 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Here's my 2 cents on this.

Yes! Many people have had good luck using 3rd party FW and I'd bet some have bricked their router's too. Expecting one device to cover a 4000 sq' house is wishful thinking.

While I'm having my own problems with my r8500 coverage is not one of them. For the same money you could use two r7000's the 2nd in AP mode connected via a data cable at opposite end of the house.

Message 5 of 8
jdwerosa21
Aspirant

Thaks for your response. I definitely agree now that one unti will not cover 4,000 square feet. Netgear should re think their marketing and what they present on their packaging. I paid over $400 and I would have expected much better performance. I have added a Netgear Acess Point WNDPA620 and two Linksys R6500 extenders and I now have a somewhat adequate coverage at a very high expense. I hope the new Orbi's or google routers coming out change WIFI coverage.

Message 6 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The orbi uses wifi between the base and satellite So it would seem it's a glorified  range extender?

Message 7 of 8
jdwerosa21
Aspirant

I do like the fact that it has the same SSID and a separate 3rd band that does not carry any traffic but allegedly just maintains the signal.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7