Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: nighthawk X4S, ReadyShare, FTP, cannot connect

aoz
Tutor
Tutor

nighthawk X4S, ReadyShare, FTP, cannot connect

trying to set up REadyShare, for FTP access, from remote internet.

address Is (simulated)   ftp://172.50.203.60/shares

I hvae configured ReadyShare to allow the FTP, remotely, at this address, and admin password required., it has default port 21

but when I type that address in my browser (testing from home), i get "CONNECTION REFUSED", or "WILL NOT CONNECT", etc.

Are there any other settings I have to configure?

I haved my comcast Motorola cable modem with the incoming internet signal, and then the router (netgear nighthawk) is connected to that, and all other nome computers are connected to the netgear.

i have a USB stick in the netgear, which is what I want to share.

I'm lost, c an't figure this out

thanks

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
aoz
Tutor
Tutor

actually, I FIXED this ! (in past couple days).  I tried another USB stick, clean, blank, and it actually WORKED !!  SO, I took the SCREWY one, reformatted it, cleanied it off, added new data, pluged it in, and IT worked !!

SOMETHING must have been wrong in its format, etc, because now the FTP works, and another issue, the BROWSE for folders, works !

thanks to everyone for their replies!

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

This IP addess is the one you see on Basic -> Internet -> Internet IP Address?

Have configured any port forwarding for the FTP service port 21, or is there an UPnP PMP port forwarding configured for that port in Advanced -> Advanced setup -> UPnP?

Message 2 of 10
aoz
Tutor
Tutor

re: port forwarding - does this have to be set anywhere? not sure about this setting

re: upnp - see attached - this is an advanced setting

(this is default, i did nothing else)

Message 3 of 10
schumaku
Guru

No port forwarding must be in place for FTP (let's talk of FTP control on 21/TCP for now).

So back to the IP address - using the one assigned to your router WAN/Internet interface by the ISP?

Message 4 of 10
aoz
Tutor
Tutor

re: ip address - yes, it is the one the router is providing, and it is the one that I see if I do an internet search to see what the world sees my IP address as

Message 5 of 10
schumaku
Guru

Does your ISP provide firewall services by default, or prohibit Internet access to standard services like http or ftp "for the customer's security" (read: to offer business service contracts permitting these services)?

Message 6 of 10
aoz
Tutor
Tutor

i don't know if they prohibit the services, or if they provide the firewall by default.  i can try chatting online with them later, but to get to a knowledgable person is sometimes impossible. i did a quick google search, and it does not seem like somethiing widespread;  some users have run into problems, they had to go to custiom settings, but i have no clue where such setting s would be.

comcast had a list of ports blocked, and 21 is not one of them

Message 7 of 10
JamesGL
Master

Hi aoz,

Are you testing it within the same network as the router?

Message 8 of 10
schumaku
Guru

What @JamesGL does want to know if you are trying to reach the services using the WAN/Internet IP address from within the same LAN - instead of using the router LAN IP address. The WAN IP can't be used, as there is no NAT loopback possible. Why don't we have a control for this, @JamesGL?

Message 9 of 10
aoz
Tutor
Tutor

actually, I FIXED this ! (in past couple days).  I tried another USB stick, clean, blank, and it actually WORKED !!  SO, I took the SCREWY one, reformatted it, cleanied it off, added new data, pluged it in, and IT worked !!

SOMETHING must have been wrong in its format, etc, because now the FTP works, and another issue, the BROWSE for folders, works !

thanks to everyone for their replies!

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7