Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: nighthawk r6700v2 losing internet connection periodically

MjAj
Aspirant

This issue is just out of hand.

after the last update (literally did it less then 9 hours ago) to the latest version and i have had to reset my router just about every hour since. DNS can not resolve through the router. This software issue is seriously rediculous!!!!!!!!!!!

NETGEAR FIX THIS **bleep**!!!!

Message 76 of 104
MjAj
Aspirant

i would also point out this has been constant since i purchased this wireless router back in June. i have upgraded Firmware every time i see a new one available in the hopes that it fixes my issue. 

Message 77 of 104
monday16
Aspirant

thtposted on this thread shortly after purchasing this router a few months ago hoping that NetGear would eventually respond to the obvious issue with this router considering the number of replies and views this thread has, but absolutely nothing has happened.   I still need to be reboot the router on a regular basis, and the wifi still drops, although the ethernet will usually stay connected. 

I had heard good things about NetGear, why I bought this router, but I am absolutely amazed bythe lack of response or concern by netgear.  They seem as if they could care less that the router does not work.  Terrible product and customer service.

Anyways, time to move on, anyone have any suggestions on a router from a different manufacturer?  Would appreciate avoiding making a mistake like this again.

Thanks

Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 78 of 104
acg3
Initiate

I'm having the exact same problem as everyone else. Every time I restart my router it works great (fast speeds, solid connection), but then does one of two things: 1) Disconnects from the internet/modem and won't reconnect, or 2) disconnects for a few seconds and then reconnects. 

I spoke to two different NETGEAR technicians who were very nice, but not of much help. The second one advised me to send in my current router for a replacement. I will be out of town until after Thanksgiving, so I won't be able to receive the replacement until then. I will update my post once it arrives, and let everyone know if this fixes the problem (assuming I/we have a "lemon" router). 

Message 79 of 104
Texas0920
Aspirant

I had this issue for a month. After many futile debugging steps, Netgear sent me a new replacement router. This did NOT help either.
I was about to buy a $20 replacement router in frustration.

But recently I upgraded the firmware of the replacement router from V1.1.0.42 to V1.2.0.4
https://kb.netgear.com/000049559/R6700v2-Firmware-Version-1-2-0-4

The router is surprisingly well behaved after this firmware upgrade. I've never seen it being this steady. Hope this lasts.

Message 80 of 104
MjAj
Aspirant

Another firmware update done and another disappointment. 

Roughly 5 hours into the new firmware and already had to reset the router 3 times for the same ongoing issue.

anyone else still having this issue?

router is running V1.2.0.8_1.0.1 at this point.

Message 81 of 104
Bob_Ross
Aspirant

I've had this issue multiple times since the last firmware update. It happens when I turn my computer on and at random times during the night/early morning.

Is this an RMA issue? Has anyone done the RMA process and had this fix their problem?
Message 82 of 104
fa28
Aspirant

Same problem.  Router recently started malfunctioning, no wifi or ethernet working. Have had router since July 2017, worked OK until this month. I have the latest firmware V1.2.0.8-1.0.1.

Router is plugged into a cable modem.  Ethernet works directly from modem to computer.  Throught the router the internet (modem-router-computer) does not work. Lights are on like they should be.

I have talked to support and was told to reset router. After reset it  works for a few hours then stopped. Reset again works for a short time then goes off. Support keeps putting off giving me an RMA. Read here and elsewhere there is a hardware problem with this model. Also read ElaineM can facilitate a return and being sent a R7000 model. How do I get help on this frustrating issue. Netgear should just do a recall. Have been in touch with a friend to find out what's involved with a possible class action suit.

ElaineM contact me please.

Message 83 of 104
User-NG-X
Aspirant

I orioginally thought this was comcast issue.  Spent time with Comcast support few hours. Out of 2 laptops and 3 phones and an ipad, any of them would say NO internet, but connected to router. While some devices say 'no internet', other devices would just work with internet no issue thru the same router, so it is not comcast issue. And, I did not enable any QOS or device limits on DHCP. Only less than 10 devices at any point in time in the attached devices list.

Also, noticed a serious bug, the computer says "Connected, NO internet", but when I look at the router admin console's Attached Devices list, it would not even show that pc there (trust me, I made sure that I'm connecting to the right router network). This is an expensive router, bought this to save $10 monthly rental from comcast. Way past the timeline to return this to Amazon. It has really become worse after upgrading to V1.0.1.36_10.0.40.

Someone suggested 1.0.1.34, I could not even find that firmware version on netgear support site. 

Any help?

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 84 of 104
fa28
Aspirant

to User-NG-X (Aspirant)

I still had 6 months on my hardware warranty and complained repeatedly until they finally let me returned it for a replacement. I'm using the latest firmware and the replacement works fine. Hope it last a few years or craps out before June before the warranty ends. 

Message 85 of 104
User-NG-X
Aspirant

Thank you fa28. I'll call Netgear Customer Support and update this thread.

Message 86 of 104
Thompa3642
Tutor

Hi there,

Try updating to the latest firmware.

Since updating to V1.2.0.12_1.0.1 four days ago, our intermittent / daily disconnection issues have evaporated. We have been suffering this issue for almost a year having bought the R6700 in April 2017.

I know it is early days - but a promising start!

Regards,

Allan

Message 87 of 104
cryptonium_us
Aspirant

Yes the latest firmware worked for a while. Today i had to reboot at least 10 times to watch a single movie. Netgear still has not fixed the issue. Try to fill a ticket to get a replacement unit but not sure they will contact me since i am after the 90 days period. Last time i buy netgear. 

Gonna give them a couple of days then i will order a new router. Enough is enough. Although the latest firmware description mentionned it was fixing the connectivity issue, it did nothing. Total piece of junk, incompetent engineering. 

Message 88 of 104
fa28
Aspirant

Call netgear and request a RMA # to return the one you have and get another.  The hardware has a 1 year warranty; the 90 days is for free phone support.  There is a place somewhere on thier site to request an RMA and also a phone #.  They will try and talk you out of returning it but if you tried everything you should demand to return it for a replacement.

You will have to pay for return shipping, which was $10 for me and I used my old router while I waited for the new one.  You can have them send a new one first then return the bad one, but I think shipping is more and you need to give a CC#  so they know you will return it.

Message 89 of 104
Thompa3642
Tutor

Hi there,

That's a shame and I really do sympathise. We feel very fortunate that our connection is still going strong...

Allan

Message 90 of 104
Core64
Aspirant

Just installed yesterday and was working great. Today we lost all internet from router while modem was working fine. Reset router and works fine again. Everything was updated before install. I was so happy with this router, hopefully this is an isolated event.
Message 91 of 104
UnplugReplug
Initiate

I have had this router for a month and it's nothing but trouble. I'm am outside of my Amazon return window because I was out of town for two weeks shortly after I bought it.  Just like everyone else, I lose both Wireless and Wired connections at least 3 times per day. An unplug and replug fixes the issue, for a few hours. Through the wired I have my PC, Arlo Cameras, and a Printer. Wireless has some phones, an ipad, and a Nintendo Switch. When it works it's fast, but with how often it needs to be reset it's worthless. I travel for work so the cameras were so I could keep an eye on things when I'm gone. I have gone through all the troubleshooting with a person on the phone where they clearly read from a script and guarantee me the next "solution" will fix it. They have given me an RMA. I referenced them to this thread and asked if I could get the R7000 because that's what worked for people in this thread. They will not and will only send me a R6700. Since I have to pay return shipping (really???) and they won't even ship a replacement till they receive mine (I don't have a back up) I told them I refuse their offer and I want the upgraded model or a full refund.  They told me that they "do not have a refund policy". I wish I would have known how netgear treats their customers before purchasing as I would gladly have went with someone else. Can a netgear representative please help me as the people on the phone are absolutely no help. It's like talking to a wall and you do not get anywhere. This is very frustrating.

Message 92 of 104
acg3
Initiate

UnplugReplug,

I too was outside of my Amazon return window when this problem started happening, but I was able to resolve the issue doing the following:

• I reached out to Amazon customer service via their chat option so I could keep a paper trail.
  • I explained the problem and referenced this exact thread.
  • I told them about Netgear's absurd return policy.
  • I requested a full refund of my Netgear router, and told them I'd be forced to take it up with the credit card company I used to purchase the router if they couldn't comply.
  • They apologized for the inconvenience and gave me a full refund immediately. Not only that, they let me keep the router - even though it worked only intermittently - until they sent me a new one. 

Hope that helps. 

And Netgear: please take a page out of Amazon's book on how to properly do customer service. You're really giving us a lot of problems and losing would-be loyal customers. That hurts your bottom line. Learn from this. 

Message 93 of 104
UnplugReplug
Initiate

I just took your advice. I don't want the R7000, I would rather take my business elsewhere. I went through the clicks to return to Amazon and even though I'm outside my window I didn't even need to get a human involved. They are letting me return. I also updated my review to contain a link to this thread and explain to people Netgear's customer service policies in regards to returns.  Good luck if anyone else has the issue. I suggest just avoiding this router altogether.

Message 94 of 104
seattle_ee
Aspirant

I am also going to return my 6700v2 via Amazon.  I have reinstalled the older Netgear model router that I had.  Dual band will have to wait until I can find a more stable router.  I tried MAC spoofing and troubleshooting with both my ISP and Netgear to no avail.

Message 95 of 104
Mkoish
Aspirant

Wow I'm not the only one. I've been power cycling mine every few days thinking I was doing something wrong, now I know it's not me. I've only had it for a month and a half, so I may look into returning options on this..

Message 96 of 104
Bob_Ross
Aspirant

This router is definitely a hit or a miss. I've owned this router since July 2017 and through December 2017 it would constantly crash, sometimes up to 10 times a day. I've been fortunate the last few months that a firmware update fixed it. That doesn't look to be the case for others here which is unfortunate.

I am cautiously optimistic and afraid to upgrade the firmware for risk of having the problem reappear. That is not a great feeling for a higher end router as that can security flaws unpatched.

In case anyone is wondering I'm using firmware V1.2.0.8_1.0.1.
Message 97 of 104
JamesGL
Master

Hi Mkoish and Bob_Ross,

Please check this firmware and see if the same problem.

https://kb.netgear.com/000054437/R6700v2-Firmware-Version-1-2-0-16

Message 98 of 104
JamesGL
Master

Hi Mkoish and Bob_Ross,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 99 of 104
Bob_Ross
Aspirant

So I flashed to the most recent firmware that was pushed to my router and on the website, and the problems actually came back. I can't believe I was suckered into updating my firmware. I have tried to reset my router and now everytime I turn on my desktop the router poops out and I have to power cycle BOTH my modem and router for the internet to come back up.

I can't believe this problem wasn't fixed and that it actually caused my router to drop connection all the time. I honestly can't recommend this router to anyone or Netgear at this point. 

So disappointed....

Message 100 of 104
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7