Re: nighthawk r7000

J73
Aspirant
Aspirant

nighthawk r7000

both wired and wifi have insanley slow speeds.  been acting up for a few weeks.  did the update and it got worse so i out the older firmware on again.  but still horrible speeds.  any instructions on what to do to make it better again?

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 7
Breezy45
Tutor

I have the crappy Nighthawk X6 R8000 and I get the same crappy SLOW speeds!!! I actually went back and forth between buying modems (thinking it was the modems and it wasn’t) and Xfinity and I decided to hook up my other crappy router, the LINKSYS EA9400 and I GOT GREAT SPEEDS (between 700 - 900 MBPS)! THE ONLY REASON WHY I had to go back to the CRAPPY NIGHTHAWK X6 R8000 router is because I kept getting 2.4GHz connection drop issues with the router EVEN after factory resetting the EA9400 router at least 6 times. So I gave up on the crappy LINKSYS EA9400 router and resorted back to the CRAPPY NIGBTHAWK X6 R8000 router. I’m actually going to try to take to R8000 back to Best Buy and get a ASUS router to see if I get the same speeds as the LINKSYS EA9400 router!
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 2 of 7
antinode
Guru

> both wired and wifi have insanley slow speeds. [...]

Define "insanley slow".

> [...] did the update and it got worse so i out the older firmware on
> again. [...]

The non-psychics in your audience might not be able to guess to which
versions "the update" or "older" might refer.

> Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0

And this has what to do with anything?

> I have the crappy Nighthawk X6 R8000 [...]

What's the relevance of an R8000 (with unspecified firmware) to a
thread discussing an (A7000 or) R7000 (with unspecified firmware)?

Message 3 of 7
J73
Aspirant
Aspirant

well i pay for 250 down,  wired on my ps4 im getting 13.7 down wifi im getting 28 down on it. wireless on my PC getting 114 down.  i went back to Firmware Version V1.0.9.64_10.2.64

Message 4 of 7
bryan441
Tutor

Please do it for me... "Turn off your router and turn it on after 5 minutes" then try

Message 5 of 7
J73
Aspirant
Aspirant

lol done 100 times

Message 6 of 7
bkauffman423
Aspirant

I think I've got the same issue occurring during the same timespan. As far as my testing goes, my 5G network resets periodically and kicks random devices off of the network on occasion. Trying to join the 5G network sometimes results in a refused connection and when I do connect most of the time it drops due to lack of internet. 2.4G seems to always be up (connections remain active) but my speeds drop to 3-10Mbps. Typical behavior is around 100 on 2.4G and 450 on 5G, so the performance problems are definitely noticeable. I also upgraded the firmware but it didn't fix the issue, restarted the router a variety of times, and just today went and bought the X6 to replace the R7000 and so far so good. I really only replaced it to make sure it was an issue with the router and not some weird filtering being done by the ISP. Connectivity problems are the hardest to solve especially when the behavior isn't consistent. I'm not convinced that the R7000 is a lost cause because it worked great before it started acting up recently but I can't tell if it's a problem with my hardware or a firmware issue. It may just end up becoming a dedicated VPN router.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E