Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

nighthawk r7000p internet speed issues when using "Blocked Sites" -> "Keyword Blocking"

devluz
Aspirant

nighthawk r7000p internet speed issues when using "Blocked Sites" -> "Keyword Blocking"

I noticed my R7000P's internet speed has dropped fron 700-800MBits to below 150 MBits when using a fixed LAN conneciton. Curiously, my WiFi speed was slighly faster at 200 MBits but still slower than usually. Restarting did not help either.

After some Trial and error I found the following:

If I go into the router settings -> Advanced -> Blocked Sites I had the option "Keyword Blocking" set to Always. Something I experimented with in the past but it didn't work well. After setting this option to "Always" my normal speed returned.

This looks like a software bug to me. Firmware V1.3.1.64_10.1.36

I hope this helps others.

Edit: If anyone can report this to netgear that would be great. There does not seem to be any way to contact support from my country and the webpage gives me an error "Sorry! It’s not you, it’s us. Please try again" when I try to get support ...

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 3

Re: nighthawk r7000p internet speed issues when using "Blocked Sites" -> "Keyword

Nice catch.

If people can confirm this behaviour – to rule out any possibility of a local quirk at your end –  there are ways of getting the word through to Netgear.

It is certainly "known behaviour" for people to lose speed when they ask a router's processor to exert any effort, with traffic metering and QoS, for example. Not sure that this one is known.

Message 2 of 3
devluz
Aspirant

Re: nighthawk r7000p internet speed issues when using "Blocked Sites" -> "Keyword

Correction from my last post: Setting the option to "Never" will return the router to normal speed. I sadly can't edit my original post

I tested a bit more even without any blocked sites if this option is set the "Always" the speed immediately drops to a fraction of the usual speed.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7