Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

nighthawk r8000 connection issues

userofinternet1
Aspirant

nighthawk r8000 connection issues

I'm having a problem with Google fiber and a Netgear nighthawk r8000 where (as the title says) nothing loads right or connects the first time and I have to refresh or wait for pages to auto refresh to actually work. For example, if I Google something and click on a website it will either say "this site can't be reached" or it will only load text and no pictures until I refresh a couple times. It also happens when I try to open things like steam where it won't load and I'll have to open and close steam a few times before it works. And if I try to join a discord voice chat it connects and disconnects and reconnects again.

I'm using Google fiber with the Netgear router that I mentioned and it feels like the problem happens more frequently on Ethernet than wifi.

Does anybody know what's causing this or how it could be fixed?

edit: the router is connected directly to the fiber jack in the wall and not going through the provided google fiber router.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: nighthawk r8000 connection issues

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What happens if you enable IPv6 with Auto Detect settings? Apply and reboot the router?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What happens if you enable IPv6 with Auto Detect settings? Apply and reboot the router?

Message 2 of 5
userofinternet1
Aspirant

the firmware version is 1.0.4.84

google fiber jack model # is gflt110

I just turned on IPv6 and it seems like that actually fixed the problem, would it be possible to explain why that worked? just if you have time because I'm curious as to what that does.

Message 3 of 5
dstryffe
Aspirant

I had the same problem and setting IPv6 from disable to auto also appears to have fixed my problem.  It would be nice to know how what the problem was and how this fixed it.  The router had been working ok up until a couple weeks ago when the problem showed up.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

@userofinternet1 wrote:

the firmware version is 1.0.4.84

google fiber jack model # is gflt110

I just turned on IPv6 and it seems like that actually fixed the problem, would it be possible to explain why that worked? just if you have time because I'm curious as to what that does.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7