openVPN - No Android & iOS support

daemoncan
Novice

openVPN - No Android & iOS support

Are there any plans to "fix" this oversight? Seriously! All the tablets & phones out there and no VPN support. Should I wait for an firmware update, take a chance with DD-WRT, or go buy a Raspberry PI & "roll my own" VPN server?

TIA
Message 1 of 6
fordem
Mentor

Re: openVPN - No Android & iOS support

Is it an oversight, and if so, an oversight on whose part? Android comes with a built-in VPN client - are you going to blame Netgear because the Android client doesn't connect to their devices or are you going to blame Android for requiring a certificate to connect to a VPN - or - why don't you just purchase the required certificate and implement the infrastructure required?

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 2 of 6
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

IOS issues

https://forums.openvpn.net/topic14752.html

🙂
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 6
daemoncan
Novice

fordem wrote:
Is it an oversight, and if so, an oversight on whose part?

Android comes with a built-in VPN client - are you going to blame Netgear because the Android client doesn't connect to their devices or are you going to blame Android for requiring a certificate to connect to a VPN - or - why don't you just purchase the required certificate and implement the infrastructure required?

1) Android & iOS are a very large part of today's market.

2)PPTP is a "weak" VPN at best. Implementing it (nowadays) so that it only works without encryption is inexcusable.

3) As far as OpenVPN is concerned, see item #1. Also, a little explanation on Netgear's behalf as to why Android is not supported would be nice. If it's something that is truly beyond their control (and not that they just can't be bothered) ((and it would have been nice to know about this shortcoming before I purchased)) , I would be content to port-forward to a home-rolled solution.
Message 4 of 6
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

1) Android & iOS are a very large part of today's market.

Agree with you. This does not limits currently only on Prosafe routers. Hope it will implement in the future

2)PPTP is a "weak" VPN at best. Implementing it (nowadays) so that it only works without encryption is inexcusable.

Sure is.. PPTP is weak.

3) As far as OpenVPN is concerned, see item #1. Also, a little explanation on Netgear's behalf as to why Android is not supported would be nice. If it's something that is truly beyond their control (and not that they just can't be bothered) ((and it would have been nice to know about this shortcoming before I purchased)) , I would be content to port-forward to a home-rolled solution.

You are in wrong place to raising voice. Forum are user to user base only

Suggest you and all other to complain support at my.netgear.com
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 6
bobcageon
Guide

if you pay $3-4 per month you can buy a real vpn (purevpn) and connect using android's built in vpn app same with iOS. And yes it sucks because the router has a good vpn built in, but you have to roll a windows based pc or use kong's DD-WRT to browse/email/game/twerk/bank or whatever it is u need privacy for
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E