Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

orbi 6 mesh wifi connecting to 2 modems

Keithboi
Tutor

orbi 6 mesh wifi connecting to 2 modems

hello,can i set up 2 wifi6 orbi systems i same building,each has its own fibre modem,2 separate lines coming in.the owner insists on having one network for her work and one for guests.and just using guest network of one system is not acceptable.ive already bought 2 x rbk755 systems.please HELP

keithboi

Message 1 of 22

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: orbi 6 mesh wifi connecting to 2 modems

You can try the app, under Settings, not sure if you can change the mode there, if no, you can on the web page. 

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 22

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Yes you can do this.

Just set them with a different ssid and channel. 

not a big deal. 

Next time, I'd push for switching to a business class like the SXK80 where you can seperate out ssid's and only have to pay for the one modem/isp connection. 

Message 2 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX (WiFi 6) products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Orbi AX supports the main wifi network and a guest network as well if the one system "the owner insists on having one network for her work and one for guests"

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you

@Keithboi wrote:

hello,can i set up 2 wifi6 orbi systems i same building,each has its own fibre modem,2 separate lines coming in.the owner insists on having one network for her work and one for guests.and just using guest network of one system is not acceptable.ive already bought 2 x rbk755 systems.please HELP

keithboi

Message 3 of 22
Keithboi
Tutor

thanks for your advice,just to be sure im changing ssid and chanel on the router not the modem, im a complete novice,thanks keith

Message 4 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Correct. The modem, if any wifi is featured there, should be disabled. 

Message 5 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

Message 6 of 22
Keithboi
Tutor

Hi,no not yet.im just rebuilding system after stripping everything down and getting rid of all the old wired waps etc and tommorow am going to connect  orbi router (A) and 5 satellites to modem (A) and once working im going to connect orbi router (B) and 5 satellites to modem (B).and hopefully have no issues(LOL). just a thought but will both routers sync with all 10 satellites or will i have to keep them separate? ,5 sats for each router.i shall reveal all tomorrow once installed

Message 7 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Wow. Thats going to be interesting. 

Well I would work with 1 system first, can get all the RBS connected to the 1st RBR. I recommend if these two systems are some what close, that you set 2.4Ghz to channel 1 and on the 2nd set RBR, set channel 11. Set 5Ghz to 40 on the 1st RBR and 48 on the 2nd RBR. 

Hopefully you can get all the RBS connected to each system RBR. You might sync one RBS at a time near the RBR first wirelessly to make sure each RBS gets connected and synced well. Then once you get the 5 wirelessly since, power them off and put in there remote locations and wire connect them up to ethernet if thats your plan and turn them ON one at a time and make sure they get connected to the RBR correctly. If your ethernet connecting the RBS, follow this: https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy... 📡

Message 8 of 22
Keithboi
Tutor

No im not connecting any of the RBS by ethernet,all will be  wirelessCcant start running cables in this villa,its a bit too upmarket for that($40mill) .so ill follow your advice to the letter and hopefully ........

Message 9 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, I was curious. 

All wireless...hoping that all works wireleslly. 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡
https://kb.netgear.com/000061709/Where-should-I-place-the-Mesh-WiFi-satellite-of-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-W... 📡

Message 10 of 22
Keithboi
Tutor

client insists on having a personal line and modem as a cuople of years ago a rental in the villa downloaded some pretty undesireble stuff and the owner got blocked by google and took an awful lot of hassle with the lawers to get access returned.this is why i have to have to lines.thx for your advice,K

Message 11 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Frustrated Good Luck man. 

Message 12 of 22
Keithboi
Tutor

Hi, well ive installed first RBR with 4 RBS and works magnificently,986 mbps,down and 842mbps up. i then turned everything off and installed second system on second isp modem and i thought all was going superbly ,same up and down speeds, BUT when i tried to load Netflix and other apps i couldnt connect!!when i looked into things it became apparent that the sec protocol is WPA28-PSK(AES),now i looked into changing the settings but did not see this option. HUH!!  Is there anyway of accessing somewhere in the interface so i can change the orbi s settings because i cant change the isp modems settings, 

thans for all your help,keith

Message 13 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Security settings for wifi is under Basic Tab/Wireless settings. 

WPA2 and AES should work well...

Message 14 of 22
Keithboi
Tutor

can i access that through phone app or do i need to access interface on computer?

Message 15 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

You can try the app, under Settings, not sure if you can change the mode there, if no, you can on the web page. 

Message 16 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

So after you got the system up and running, just curious, what firmware version are the two systems running? 

Message 17 of 22
Keithboi
Tutor

Well i followed your advice to the letter and when i left this evening both networks were working superbly,i put each router on different chanells for the 2.4 and 5ghtz and changed protocol to wpa2psk aes on one RBR. i lost a bit of speed once i changed chanells but im still more than 780Mbps down and 650Mbps up; Before i changed chanells all was working when i left the other day but when i went this morning both routers and all the satelittes were on guest network and secure network had disappeared.now theve been separated im hoping tomorrow it wont do the same.i feel confident that the solution has been found.

firmware version:  V4.6.5.14_2.0.54

thanks again,k

Message 18 of 22
Keithboi
Tutor

All good,thanks for your advice,K

@plemans wrote:

Yes you can do this.

Just set them with a different ssid and channel. 

not a big deal. 

Next time, I'd push for switching to a business class like the SXK80 where you can seperate out ssid's and only have to pay for the one modem/isp connection. 

Message 19 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

So after you got the system up and running, just curious, what firmware version are the two systems running? 

Message 20 of 22
Keithboi
Tutor

firmware version V4.6.5.14 and a week later its still working like a dream,no gremlins yet

Message 21 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's all working. 
Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7