Re: printer & desktop not accessible from laptops or notebook or pixel

geparks
Aspirant

printer & desktop not accessible from laptops or notebook or pixel

R7000; I have my printer plugged into port 1, desktop into port 2.

Why can I not see, or access them from my laptops, notebooks, or pixel?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15
geparks
Aspirant

"Come on, you need to provide more information."

Let's see . . . it is;

Nighthawk R7000 dual mode Router.

Five (5) 10/100/1000 Mbps—(1 WAN & 4 LAN) Gigabit Ethernet ports

-----------------------------

.HP photosmart 2600 series printer is plugged into port #1

Desk top is plugged into port #2

Toshiba LT (WIN10) can not see the printer or DT computer

HP LT (WIN10) can not see printer or DT

Instructions with router are probably great for computer techs, for the rest of us it is a large collection of acronyms.

Message 2 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I would check with the printers user manual to see how it's set up on the network. Usually hp set up sw can detect the printer when installing it on each PC. Make sure the printer is getting an IP address from the router. All this will be in the printers set up manual.

Try using the printer set up software.

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW)/RBK853 AP Mode v3.2.18.1
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 3 of 15
geparks
Aspirant

"Try using the printer set up software.

Motorola MB7420(200Mb/10Mb)>Orbi AC2200>HP 24pt Gb Switch. R7800(Voxels v.4xSF FW), XR500, EX7500 and WNHDE111"

Again with the acrynoms?
AsI see it, I have two options;
Pay a local computer shop $125 to set this router up, or
Take it back to Office Depot and get something that works out of the box.
Message 4 of 15
William10a
Master

Without knowing how you have the router setup and the two other devices setup since you need to setup a printer to the network for other devices can access the printer too print. I would read the manuals that came with the printer and computer again it may help. You could also try hp support to fix the printer connection issue and the computer issue may be the answer.  

Message 5 of 15
schumaku
Guru

Strongly doubt this is a router problem. WiFi (the normal wireless network name - you are not using the guest wireless?) and the LAN ports are in a transparent layer 2 network. A printer should be discoverable from any system on the (W)LAN - by common standard discovery, or by manufacturer specific tools/utilities.

Are all these systems (Windows 10 systems, networked printer) getting the network configuration from the router DHCP server?

Are all these devices showing up in the router Attached Devices list?

Are the Windows 10 system configured to be in a private network?

Message 6 of 15
William10a
Master

I agree that the router would not be number one on the list the set up of the printer and computer would be the areas I would start looking.

Message 7 of 15
geparks
Aspirant

The printer is connected directly to the netgear, looks like my only option is to buy a differtnt brand. Nosence wasting any more time on this.

Message 8 of 15
schumaku
Guru

The wireless on your printer is disabled?

Does the printer show up in the R7000 Attached Devices?

Does the printer get an address from the R7000 DHCP server - check the printer configuration or status.

Does the printer show a working Ethernet connection - there is at least one LED?

If the printer does show up in the Attched Devices, and the IP is in the same LAN range, like 192.168.1.xxx the router LAN, for example 192.168.1.123, you should be able to ping the printer (command line - ping 192.168.1.123) or connect the printer Web UI from a browser (http://192.168.1.123/).

We're happy to help with networking and general troubleshooting. Just coming back with frustration does not help anyone. Without trying to answer some questions and giving some insight on how things are configured it's impossible to help. And no, we're neither Netgear Support here nor HP Support.

Message 9 of 15
schumaku
Guru

There is plenty of information on configuring and troubleshooting in the HP Photosmart 2600/2700 series all-in-one User Guide.

Message 10 of 15
IrvSp
Master

@geparks wrote:

R7000; I have my printer plugged into port 1, desktop into port 2.

Why can I not see, or access them from my laptops, notebooks, or pixel?

This method of connecting the PRINTER is SO WRONG!!!

You should be using the WIRELESS connection method. Check the MANUAL (https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-deskjet-2600-all-in-one-printer-series/12319824/manuals)

Message 11 of 15
antinode
Guru

> R7000; I have my printer plugged into port 1, desktop into port 2.

Are you talking about LAN Ethernet ports (ok) or USB ports (not ok)?
I assume Ethernet.

> This method of connecting the PRINTER is SO WRONG!!!
> You should be using the WIRELESS connection method.

Are you saying that the "Connect using Ethernet" section in the User
Guide cited above is a fraud?  _Something_ certainly is "SO WRONG!!!".

Message 12 of 15
IrvSp
Master

@antinode,

Right, I looked at http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05439290 and should have looked here, http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00369548

Wrong model. Thanks for the correction, but I really thing Wireless is the way to go. However after looking at the page on the right I attached, this is a SLOW old printer. Wireless connection could bog down the 2.4Ghz SSID (if it is even set to support G speed)?

Looks like OP needs to look at http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00389680, chapter 3 I guess?

Chapter 4 also, OP might have missed this part:

==================

UUse this chapter to install your HP all-in-one software on either a Windows or Macintosh
cComputer. However, before you install the software, make sure you have connected
yyour HP all-in-one as described in one of the previous chapters

========================
Message 13 of 15
geparks
Aspirant

OK, final report;

Down loaded and ran 

ReadySHARE Printer
Pluged the printer into the USB port on the front  of the Nighthawk, the ethernet light never lit (oh well)
Ran the program, it ran through a few windows and dissapeared. No done, finish or go to.
OPened windows explorer/Network and low and behold a new item under 'Network', MIMIT-2M30JIG (??)
Opened it and there is my HP Photosmart 2600 series.
Message 14 of 15
schumaku
Guru

@geparks wrote:

Down loaded and ran  ReadySHARE Printer

Pluged the printer into the USB port on the front  of the Nighthawk, the ethernet light never lit (oh well)
Ran the program, it ran through a few windows and dissapeared. No done, finish or go to.

ReadySHARE Printer is a USB sharing for the USB port on the router over the network - the virtual USB device does behave like a local device, and does not make the printer appear as a Network device.

@geparks wrote:

Down loaded and ran  ReadySHARE Printer

OPened windows explorer/Network and low and behold a new item under 'Network', MIMIT-2M30JIG (??)
Opened it and there is my HP Photosmart 2600 series.

Without a working Ethernet connection - you state there is no light? Impossible to say how the printer is connected over the network. As you are still really ignorant to check the router Attched Devices (connected as wired or wireless device, IP address?), to check the printer config (WiFi or Ethernet, IP addresses?), and provide details. Black magic at best.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements