problem connecting to 192.168.1.1 and routerlogin.net

saagarghimire
Follower

problem connecting to 192.168.1.1 and routerlogin.net

Hi,

I recently bought R7000, set it up and running. Connected to my desktop computer wirelessly, working fine. I was able to go to routerlogin.net, and update firmware and change passwords etc. Same with 192.168.1.1.

Then I downloaded Network Genie to my desktop, which is supposed to make my life easier with sharing printer and files easily. once I installed it, I was able to make changes to the router settings via network genie, but after I shared my printer, which worked fine. I noticed that I wasn't able to log on to 192.168.1.1 or routerlogin.net anymore. It goes to "this page cannot be displayed" error, and on clicking "fix connection problems", it finally displays the error found as "the remote device or resource won't accept the connection".

I tried to connect to routerlogin.net via laptop, and it showed the same error. I shut down my desktop, and then I was able to login to routerlogin.net without a problem. then I opened up my desktop and uninstalled network genie. still I am not able to open up routerlogin.net (have not yet tried this time if routerlogin.net will work or not from laptop if I turn my desktop off).

Is it that when I install network genie I wont be able to login to routerlogin.net via internet explorer (or chrome or safari)? What is the problem?
Message 1 of 26
theoak
Luminary

Re: problem connecting to 192.168.1.1 and routerlogin.net

Ya ... the latest genie and R7000 do not play well together. The easiest thing to do would be to uninstall genie and not use it Smiley Wink Or, uninstall it and then download and install an older version: ftp://downloads.netgear.com/netgeargenie Or ... you can also use an older version of the R7000 firmware also: ftp://downloads.netgear.com/r7000/archive/
RBK53 v2
Router Firmware: 2.7.2.104
Satellite Firmware: 2.7.2.104 (Satellite1: Wired, Satetellite2: WiFi)
Setup: DSL Modem (Bridge Mode) - Personal Router - Orbi (Access Point mode)
Message 2 of 26
thiagocrepaldi
Aspirant

I had the same problem as you. My firmware is V1.0.2.164_1.0.15
I hope a solution for this is found soon !]
Message 3 of 26
Oli
Aspirant
Aspirant

I too have the same issue. My router's firmware is v1.0.1.22.
Message 4 of 26
LeeH
Prodigy

Same here. Anybody submit a support request on this yet?
Message 5 of 26
LeeH
Prodigy

OK I wrote this issue up with the following.

I installed the new Genie application version 2.3.1.13 on my computer. It seemed to work fine and I could login to the router. I then enabled IPV6 on my my R7000 router with firmware version 1.0.2.164 and the web interface doesn't work any more until I reboot the router. I turned off IPV6 applied the setting and rebooted the router. I verified that IPV6 is turned off but still have no web login as soon as I start the Genie application. It appears that the Genie application will crash the router web login if the router has ever had IPV6 enabled.
Message 6 of 26
theoak
Luminary

I submitted a case yesterday. To get real visibility however, the more people that create a support ticket .. the better.
RBK53 v2
Message 7 of 26
Lexist2112
Luminary

LeeH, A work around, you may try to clear web browser cache and you should be good to go
Message 8 of 26
Oli
Aspirant
Aspirant

I submitted a case too, few days ago. Still waiting for a resolution.
Message 9 of 26
RogerSC
Virtuoso

LeeH wrote:
OK I wrote this issue up with the following.
It appears that the Genie application will crash the router web login if the router has ever had IPV6 enabled.

I've also submitted a case to Netgear about rebooting or power-cycling with IPv6 enabled. When I reboot with IPv6 enabled, I lose my internet connection. I can get it back by removing the WAN cable from the back of the router for 15 seconds or so after the reboot, but having the internet connection fail for a reboot or power-cycle is quite annoying. A reboot works fine when IPv6 is not enabled, though.

When that first happened, I exchanged the router with Newegg, they made it very easy, because I couldn't believe that wasn't a router rather than a firmware problem. But it is definitely a firmware problem, since the replacement router behaves exactly the same.
Message 10 of 26
Joe6P
Aspirant

I’ve been having the same problem without even messing with ipv6.
The best solution seems to be to turn the router off than on to regain access to its browser menu.
I called customer support today. I was told they’re aware of the problem and working on a new firmware to be released soon.
For now, I uninstalled genie from both of my computers and restarted everything again. So far so good but I lost the air printer feature.
Otherwise I love this router.
Message 11 of 26
Tjisret
Aspirant

I wrote right to the Netgear Genie Folks today and they said this is a known issue and they have issued a corrected Beta Version to there program and here is the link to it (BUT AGAIN THIS IS A BETA VERSION SO BEWARE as with any BETA VERSION) and this has worked for me.

http://updates1.netgear.com/temp/NETGEARGenie-install-2.3.1.16beta.exe
Message 12 of 26
theoak
Luminary

There are all sorts of "interesting" files in that "temp" folder Smiley Wink ... of course NONE of it would be officially released and would be SERIOUSLY use/try at your own risk.
RBK53 v2
Message 13 of 26
Joe6P
Aspirant

Tjisret, Thank you very much. It looks like it's working fine for now but we need to give it some time to make sure it's a permanent fix.
Message 14 of 26
Tjisret
Aspirant

Further email with the Genie folks today said that they would issue it for general download in a week or two if no further issues are found.
Message 15 of 26
Joe6P
Aspirant

Day 2 and Genie is still happier than ever. I think it's safe to say problem fixed! Thanks!
Message 16 of 26
Atin90
Aspirant

I had same problem with all kinds of problems in addition to internet disconnect. Turned out to be the latest update for Hamachi. Uninstalled Hamachi and now all is well.
Message 17 of 26
Bob_
Aspirant

Well, I'm having the same problem. Can't log into the router. If I cycle it off, I can log in but then I'm locked out again. I tried the beta download of the Genie but unlike others that posted it doesn't work for me. So, I uninstalled the genie all together but still can't log in. Perplexed. I was going to return this where I purchased thinking something wrong with the unit, now, I think it is firmware related and assume it will get fixed. Downloaded the latest firmware and it fixed the wifi on and off issue but not the login problem.
Message 18 of 26
Joe6P
Aspirant

Bob_,

Are you running the latest Firmware Version V1.0.2.164_1.0.15
That's what I'm running with the latest BETA genie and I'm extremely happy.
Make sure to factory reset your modem and your router and uninstall old genie before you reinstall it.
Message 19 of 26
dowop
Tutor

Do really have to do a factory reset on the modem? I have not done that. Maybe that is why I am having some problems.
Message 20 of 26
Joe6P
Aspirant

I use Comcast and they seem to encourage resetting the modem once every while. If you don't want to reset it just recycle its power while the router is turned off. Wait for a couple of minutes and turn your router on again. If you're using Ethernet cable to connect to your computer, you might need to restart your computer as well.
Message 21 of 26
Bob_
Aspirant

No, I did not factory reset the modem or the router. I am not interested in re-inputting all my static IP, DNS, and reserved IP addresses unless I'm convinced this is the last time I'll have to do it. Not there yet. Gonna sit back and read the forum and wait for a firmware fix. But thanks anyway.
Message 22 of 26
RogerSC
Virtuoso

dowop wrote:
Do really have to do a factory reset on the modem? I have not done that. Maybe that is why I am having some problems.

Yes, especially if you're having problems it's appropriate to reset your router. Then power-cycle it, and manually re-enter your router's configuration settings. It may or may not fix your problems depending on what's causing them, but it is a straightforward thing to try that will fix a lot of problems.
Message 23 of 26
dowop
Tutor

Do I have to reset the modem also?
Message 24 of 26
Joe6P
Aspirant

As far as I'm concerned, The issue is resolved.
Thanks to the author of the thread and to those who made the effort contacting Netgear technical support as I did not to forget the Netgear engineers who took care of the problem swiftly.
Happy Holidays to ALL!
Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements