Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

problem with Netgear NightHawk R7000 AC1900 WiFi Router tripping every time i try to use ethernet

argo2d
Tutor

problem with Netgear NightHawk R7000 AC1900 WiFi Router tripping every time i try to use ethernet

i had to start using an old lenovo as a stop gap until i get a new laptop. the laptop triggers my router (which i also got secondhand) to disconnect but it did not cause my even older previous router to do so. it makes everything (wifi and ethernet) lose connectivity until i restart the router. and it only happens when the laptop is started and i attempt to access the internet (e.g. play something on spotify and it briefly plays for a few seconds before everything on the laptop and my other wifi connected devices lose access). otherwise the router works fine (and not every time so i'm not sure what triggered it in the startup process). 

Lenovo thinkpad x270 on windows 10 (configs below)
Netgear NightHawk R7000 AC1900 WiFi Router

windows version.png
Message 1 of 9

Re: problem with Netgear NightHawk R7000 AC1900 WiFi Router tripping every time i try to use etherne

I find it hard to follow what is going on here. Let's start with the usual questions.

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

@argo2d wrote:
the laptop triggers my router (which i also got secondhand) to disconnect

What does "triggers my router ... to disconnect" mean?

Disconnect from what? Wifi? The Internet? A wired connection?

What do the LEDs on the router look like when this happens?

Then this bit:

before everything on the laptop and my other wifi connected devices lose access).

If this happens only when this laptop enters into the picture, then that's probably where the problem lies.

Maybe someone else can follow the sequence you describe and understand what is happening at what stage.

I assume that you have checked that Windows is not blocking your Internet access. There is nothing that your router can do about that.

Message 2 of 9
argo2d
Tutor

Re: problem with Netgear NightHawk R7000 AC1900 WiFi Router tripping every time i try to use etherne

thank you for your help and the instructions! let me know if this helps clear up my problem: the firware according to the app is up to date and the latest i.e. V1.0.9.88 (see attached)

the modem is my older one which has always worked with any router or laptop i pair it with --  motorola surfboard sb6121 (see photos attached)

by disconnect i mean every device and laptop suddenly stops being able to connect to the internet even if it was on wifi (the laptop that triggers this is connected via ethernet and i tried all 4 ports)

and the lights all still look normal, lit up and white so no signs of failed connection
how do i check if windows suddenly causes this with one of it's processes? it didn't do it to any of my other routers and i also run windows on wifi on another laptop and it works fine

IMG_2267.JPEGIMG_2268.JPEGIMG_2269.JPEG

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What CAT# lan cables are you using between the modem and router and your PC? CAT6 is recommended.

Might also update FW as well. Your behind in FW:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/New-R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-11-134-Releas...

Message 4 of 9
argo2d
Tutor

i can't update the firmware, the app keeps telling me i'm up to date every time i ask it to check for updates!

i still don't understand how this could be the cable though. why would that cause the entire router (wifi and ethernet) to suddenly stop functioning until i reboot?

Message 5 of 9

@argo2d wrote:

i can't update the firmware, the app keeps telling me i'm up to date every time i ask it to check for updates!

The onboard update check is not reliable.

Your version (V1.0.9.88) is old. There have been nine updates since then. Sometimes there are just too many steps for the automated process to work.

This is the recommended way of updating tour device:

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

i still don't understand how this could be the cable though. why would that cause the entire router (wifi and ethernet) to suddenly stop functioning until i reboot?

I agree. It is just one of those rote questions that get thrown in. Cables are rarely the issue and usually come down to old ones that have broken connections. It is, though, worth checking if only to rule it out.

Message 6 of 9
argo2d
Tutor

so latest update, i tried a few more cables and it still failed. i finally just gave up on ethernet and switch everything to wifi and now the issue doesn't occur anymore. so now i'm a little confused as to what the cause of this could be. i'm going to at some point try another laptop with the ethernet and see if it's the laptop causing this?

Message 7 of 9

@argo2d wrote:

so latest update, i tried a few more cables and it still failed. i finally just gave up on ethernet and switch everything to wifi and now the issue doesn't occur anymore.

This sort of points the finger at something that I mentioned before.

"If this happens only when this laptop enters into the picture, then that's probably where the problem lies."

When that happens the first place to look is Windows.

i'm going to at some point try another laptop with the ethernet and see if it's the laptop causing this?

Good idea.

The thing to look out for is Windows security. The latest Network Troubleshooter in Windows is a lot better than the original.

Windows likes to protect us from new networks that might be evil. In reality, it often shuts us out of safe networks.

One thought is that you could tell Windows that you are on a "private network".

• Network and Internet settings
  • Network Status
  • Change Connection Properties
  • Network Profile
  • Private

I'm told that this is rubbish advice. But it has worked for me and others in the same boat.

Ensuring that you have the latest drivers for your PC's LAN chips is also worth investigating.

Having said that, it is hard to see how the PC can bring everything else on the network to its knees.

Message 8 of 9
argo2d
Tutor

thank you! it does gives me something to attempt at least 🙂 ... maybe it triggers some alert in the router that blocks all data trying to go through the modem?

something interesting a friend wrote to me that seemed relevant since my symptoms include the router only failing a few seconds after my attempt to access the internet (after rebooting but irrespective of when i try to access after rebooting):

- Startup while connected to WiFi is OK, but not on LAN cable.  Could be the LAN port connector on the PC, as my laptop the wire contacts are corroded so badly that the port does not work at all.  An even worse situation is if the LAN can partially work, as this would cause massive errors.   Another reason is that the Wifi initialization probably occurs after the boot sequence, as it is a secondary peripheral.  The LAN detection is part of the boot sequence, I believe, so activities here would be more low down, and have less capability for error handling.  So for WiFi, the PC would finish the boot initialization, and then proceed with secondary things, like the Wifi, which shifts the activity outside of the boot initialization.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7