Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: problems after upgrading to V1.0.9.60_10.2.60

JerryPar
Aspirant

problems after upgrading to V1.0.9.60_10.2.60

Ever since I updated to the latest firmware I have had to reboot the router daily after loosing wi-fi.  How do I solve this?

JerryPar

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
IrvSp
Master

Go back to the .42 firmware release. .60 is troublesome for many.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 17

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

Go back to the .42 firmware release. .60 is troublesome for many.

Message 2 of 17
beepee
Aspirant

I downloaded an earlier version as per instructions to my desktop but when I try to add this and run the router kicks it out each time.

Can anybody give me an idiots guide to show how to revert to an older version, PLEASE.

Thanks,

BP

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 17
IrvSp
Master

@beepee wrote:

I downloaded an earlier version as per instructions to my desktop but when I try to add this and run the router kicks it out each time.

I'd love to help you but I have no idea what happened? What does 'kicks it out' mean? Surely you can provide better details like an error or what actually you saw happen?

Which intructions did you follow? None were listed here?

Suspect you NEVER unzipped the file and didn't point the router to the proper .CHK file, but without more details I can't tell.

Message 4 of 17
beepee
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

At the router update page I did add the correct downloaded and unzipped chk file BUT...... I had ticked a box at the bottom of the page when originally setting up to not allow automatic upgrades. I unticked that and it loaded the old firmware fine.

Cheers,

BP

Message 5 of 17
IrvSp
Master

@beepee wrote:

I had ticked a box at the bottom of the page when originally setting up to not allow automatic upgrades. I unticked that and it loaded the old firmware fine.

Hmm, would expect that to be the problem? They should not be connected if it turns off ALL updating/loading of firmware.

No surprise I guess, they didn't even update the HELP for the page which has no 'help' for the last 2 choices on the router page.

Seems like another bug not discovered by NG? Auto-Update was fairly new. NG, testing, designing new features, implementing correctly, FAIL!!!

Message 6 of 17
JerryPar
Aspirant

Thank you for your help.  I did rollback to .42 so I will give this a try.  I did have trouble with an earlier update, not as bad as this, but it was fixed with the update after that one.  So I decided not to wait this time but will look for something later than .60 and go to it.

I thank the other repliers also, it helped not falling into the same traps.

JerryPar

Message 7 of 17
soinkleined
Aspirant

I've found the issue to be with DNS.  A downgrade of firmware caused all sorts of other problems with my setup and did not work as i have two r7000's with the second one as an AP. 

After using google dns to locally override the router address provided by DHCP, i didn't have any issues.  Set DNS manually on your client devices to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and it should work.  Very didappointed in the lack of root cause analysis by Netgear, the opennes of their products to troubleshoot the issues on the devices themselves or the ability to acknowledge an issue and deliver a fix.

Message 8 of 17
JerryPar
Aspirant

Thanks for your experience, it's appreciated.  I was successful in falling back but it took several reboots before it was stable.  Now I'm back to the old problems with this version; instead of having to reboot every day to connect the internet, I have to reboot about once a week to reconnect the USB backup drive.  I'm now waiting for the next version in hopes that it will be more stable.  Interesting I received an email from netgear that said a new version was available but the version that they identified is the one I fell back to.  I wonder if they pulled that newer version.

Message 9 of 17
IrvSp
Master

@JerryPar wrote:

Interesting I received an email from netgear that said a new version was available but the version that they identified is the one I fell back to.  I wonder if they pulled that newer version.

Yes, they did and they didn't... I've never fully checked but I understand from some posts here they 'quietly' pulled the .60. Prior to the .60 there was a .58 release that had a lot of problems. That one was quickly pulled with an announcement I recall in some threads. Firmware is available a few ways. The FTP site, on the router Support page downloads, and via the Auto-Update on the router. From what I understand they DID pull .60 from the Auto-Update server. So no more routers would be forced into a d/l of it nor would the router state on the web GUI that an update was available. They DID leave it on the Support page for some unknown reason?

Message 10 of 17
Rockland04841
Aspirant

I have been having the dropped connection problems with v1.0.9.60. Can anyone tell me how, exactly, to go back to .42? I downloaded the firmware, but it won't install--says I need an application. Thanks!

Message 11 of 17
IrvSp
Master

Well what did you do/try?

Normally you would d/l the firmware you want from the SUPPORT link up top. Enter the router and then select DOWNLOADS. Next at the bottom of the list is the other releases. D/L the one you want to a known place. Then UNZIP the file and there should be 2 files in it, the README and the .CHK file which is the firmware binary. Then login to the router with a browser and on the ADVANCED tab on to, ADMINISTRATION, is ROUTER UPDATE. Using the BROWSE button locate on your PC that .CHK file and then press UPLOAD. You'll get a pop-up asking you to confirm you want to load a version older than the existing one, confirm and it should load and reboot.

You can test if all is OK, but in some cases you might need to do a FACTORY RESET (see manual for details) and MANUALLY reenter ALL settings.

Message 12 of 17
Rockland04841
Aspirant

Hi, thank you. I am a bit of a novice at this, but your info is clearer than what I’d found before. I do have a Mac—would that change anything?

This is what I’ve already downloaded: R7000-V1.0.9.42_10.2.44.chk

Thanks again!!
Message 13 of 17
IrvSp
Master

No, Safari browser usage is the same steps.

Message 14 of 17
Rockland04841
Aspirant

Thank you! I think I have successfully reverted to the earlier version. 

Message 15 of 17
3s1k
Tutor

As someone suggested earlier I tried changing the DNS to point to Google's DNS. This solved a lot of the issues. I occasionally still have net work drops but not as many as I did before when I had the router use my ISP dns.
Message 16 of 17
soinkleined
Aspirant

Please note, the solution i highlighted is not entering google dns on your router.  I found it was the router, itself, that wasn't properly handling DNS, irrespective of what the DNS servers were. Even if you use DHCP, you can still override router provided DNS to use google DNS.  You'll have to do this on each client device; your computers, phones, etc, but i've found after doing that, i had no issues.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7