Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

problems with R6400v2

TaNium
Aspirant

problems with R6400v2

Hello everyone,

Since my network connection is dropping away sometimes I've contacted a forum of my ISP and they have told me to put all DHCP servers off, only leaving my modems DHCP server on. While configuring my routers (3xR6400v2 and 1xDLink DIR-809 all in AP mode) I can only acces 3 of 4 (I can't connect to one of the Netgear router) in the web UI trough my desktop when I connect to the router with my laptop I can acces it. With my desktop I get a blank screen. All the IP's are static they go from 192.168.0.50-192.168.0.53. And I can't acces the router on 192.168.0.50. I'm sure I didn't gave 2 the same IP. I Also updated the firmware on every router and tried to restart the faulty router, all with no progress.

The second problem (question) is that I need to put my DHCP server off from my routers. But when I go in the UI of the working routers it says it is in AP mode and when I got to advanced it says on the tab "LAN-port" "DHCP On". Does this mean the DHCP server is on? If yes, is there a possibility to put it off?

Many thanks for helping,

TaNium

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
TaNium
Aspirant

Re: problems with R6400v2

@antinode 

@plemans 

Thanks all for helping. All problems have been solved right now. I did put the router off untill now since I didn't want to look at it anymore. Yesterday I started looking at it again. I did a reset and configured everything again like I wanted it to be. The router (192.168.0.50) seems te be working fine now: I can acces ui on every pc in the network. The web page also gets recognized now in the ip scan. The problem where the network connection is dropping away is also solved. This was the fault of my ISP (probably something in the firmware of the modem). Sorry that I didn't respond for a few months. 

Best regards

TaNium

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Sounds like an overly comlicated network.

1. What modem/router are you using as a main device? Firmware on them? What ISP are you using?

2. How do you have this all setup. A diagram of what you've got running with the switches helps. 

3. You put that you can't access the one router when using your desktop but it works fine through your laptop. That tends to point at a computer/browser issue. clear cookies/caches, try a different browser. 

4. If you setup AP mode on the netgear's, it disables the dhcp server. You shouldn't be able to enable it unless AP mode is disabled. I've even seen some users who need to factory reset and reinstall to get everything back functioning again on the router being switched out of ap mode. Not common but I've read of a few. 

The other issue is you put your network connection is dropping. When you have an over-complicated network, its tough to diagnose. Start simple. Start with just a modem and a single router and run it. Check stability for a couple days. Then start adding routers/switches. Add 1 at a time, see how it works for a bit (however long it would normally take before it'd drop), and then add another. If you're booting them all up at once, its hard to tell which is causing the issue. 

Again, keep it simple for diagnosis. Once you have a single stable modem and router setup, you could add more router in. If it stays stable with that one, take it out of circulation and add in a different one. 

I'd like to give you an easy fix but you've got a lot of devices that could be causing the issues. 

Message 2 of 7
antinode
Guru

> [...] my network connection is dropping away sometimes [...]

What, exactly, does that mean to you?  What, exactly, can't talk to
what, exactly?  Wired?  Wireless?  Local?  Outside world?  Any actual
error messages or interesting LED indicators?

> [...] a forum of my ISP and they have told me to put all DHCP servers
> off, only leaving my modems DHCP server on. [...]

Probably wise.  What is your "my modem"?  Some kind of modem+router,
or what?  Has it a maker and model number?

> [...] While configuring my routers (3xR6400v2 and 1xDLink DIR-809 all
> in AP mode) [...]

They weren't that way before?  What, exactly, is connected to what,
exactly?  (Hint: If a device has different types of Ethernet ports, then
"connected to device" is not enough detail.)  How, exactly, did you
configure them as wireless access points?

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Look for "Use the Router as a
Wireless Access Point".  For the D-Link device, you're on your own, but
a quick Web search suggests that it has an "AP Mode" option:

https://eu.dlink.com/uk/en/-/media/consumer_products/dir/dir-809/manual/dir_809_a3_manual_v1_01_eu.p...

Page 34 seems pretty determined about that "192.168.0.50" LAN IP
address.  Does the DIR-809 choose that address on its own, or do you get
a choice?

> [...] All the IP's are static they go from 192.168.0.50-192.168.0.53.
> [...]

Really static?  As in "Enable fixed IP settings on this device (not
recommended)" for the R6400v2 units?  Did you do anything on your
(unspecified) main router ("my modem") to get those addresses out of
_its_ DHCP pool?  You don't want your (unspecified) main router ("my
modem") to give out those addresses to some other device(s).

> [...] I can only acces 3 of 4 (I can't connect to one of the Netgear
> router) in the web UI trough my desktop when I connect to the router
> with my laptop I can acces it. [...]

"access" from where?  How?  Web browser, or what?

"can't" is not a useful problem description.  It does not say what
you did.  It does not say what happened when you did it.  As usual,
showing actual actions (commands) with their actual results (error
messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague
descriptions or interpretations.

When you access these devices, what do they tell you about their
configurations?  In particular, about their LAN IP addresses?

> [...] I Also updated the firmware on every router [...]

To what?  As always, an actual version number would be more useful
than your opinion of what's "updated", today.

> The second problem (question) is that I need to put my DHCP server off
> from my routers. [...]

Changing to "AP Mode" should disable the DHCP server in any router.
As the D-Link manual says:

Note: While in AP Mode, the DIR-809's DHCP server is disabled and
      many configuration options will be unavailable.

It's true on the R6400v2, too, but it's not as well documented.  For
Netgear info on the other disabled features, see:

https://kb.netgear.com/26765/

Message 3 of 7
TaNium
Aspirant

Thank you for helping.

What I mean with my connection is dropping away, is when i'm listening to my sonos soundsystem, the music drops away for about 5-10 secs. After this the just play again untill the next drop. when the music drops i also get a exclamation mark on wifi on my mobile phone. So because of this i doubt it is the sonos soundsystem. Since I can't give it a static ip trought the DHCP server (my modem I'll come back to this later) I've read if you have problems, you have to start them up 1 by 1 to make sure they don't get the same address and I've done that. this is mostly on my wifi network, on my desktop the speed drops and I also get a bit of lagg. I've noticed this trough playing games. I haven't looked yet on the LED's when this happens.

Then to my ISP and modem. My ISP is Telenet and I have as a modem a 24*8 Doc 3 Wireless (DOCSIS) but I can't find a firmware version. Also the Wifi is putted of my modem. My modem has very little settings: I can't reserve Ip's from the DHCP server, I can't put my own domain server for PiHole setup I've installed on a jail on FreeNas (on IP 192.168.0.17). Yes i've looked if it doesn't block anything it shouldn't block. Also the DHCP server of my modem hands out IP's from 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.253 according to the forum of my ISP. And all my static IP's are all below 100.

Yes they where before, but I've bought last week 2 of the 3 routers and I had to set them up. The other existing routers where already in AP. The dlink router is in AP mode with a static ip choosen on the routers ui.

The netgear routers have all a static ip choosen trough the web ui.

By accesing the web ui I mean I type the ip in the browser and it goes the the ui page. I've tried to use an other browser freshly installed on my desktop I get the same result (watch the picture).

The frimware can be found on one of the pictures I have attached. The firmware on all 3 Netgear routers are the same. The config of the routers is for every router the same. Except for the IP.

Pictures:https://imgur.com/a/NYLpoad

Sorry for Imgur link didn't know how to upload multiple images.

Message 4 of 7
TaNium
Aspirant

Thank you for helping.

My ISP is Telenet and my modem is a 24*8 Doc 3 Wireless (DOCSIS) but I don't know the firmware version.

My setup is in an image. My sonos speakers are connected to wifi so as laptops and phones. I have a correct working PiHole setup installed on a jail on ip 192.168.0.17. I have also checked that I doesn't block things it shouldn't block.

I've tried a new fresh browser and I still get the same result (see pictures)

I'm not sure if the DHCP is off since every netgear router in ap tells me "DHCP On"

I've tried to hook up only the important items like routers, digicorders etc. but i'll try to go 1 by 1 next week. Only hooking up the important stuff did reduce the amount of droppings but it is still there. The dropping are always at a different time they are not like 30 minits after each other.

Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/NYLpoad

Sorry for link didn't know how to attach them all at one.

Message 5 of 7
antinode
Guru

> [...] the Wifi is putted of my modem. [...]

So it's a modem+router.

> [...] Also the DHCP server of my modem hands out IP's from
> 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.253 according to the forum of my ISP. And all
> my static IP's are all below 100.

Ok.  So things like the "desktop" at ".4" would also have a static
address?

> [...] The config of the routers is for every router the same. Except
> for the IP.

It all looks reasonable (complex, but reasonable).  I don't have a
good explanation for the inability to talk to the management web site on
the R6400v2-as-WAP at ".50".  But you can do it from a computer which is
connected directly to that R6400v2-as-WAP?

All the R6400v2-as-WAP units are connected to the main network using
their WAN/Internet ports?  (LAN Ethernet ports or wireless for client
devices?)

I don't see an obvious problem.  Knowing nothing, I might try things
like:

1. Swap the R6400v2-as-WAP at ".50" with the R6400v2-as-WAP at ".51".

Does the problem move with the R6400v2, or is there a problem with
where it's connected.

2. Change the (LAN) IP address of the problem R6400v2-as-WAP to, say,
".90" (or something else unusual).

3. If desperate, I'd try (re-)building the whole mess, starting with
only the ISP modem+router, and adding one device at a time.

4. Try an older firmware version?

> I'm not sure if the DHCP is off since every netgear router in ap tells
> me "DHCP On"

You could test that by disconnecting the R6400v2-as-WAP from the main
network, and connecting a DHCP-using computer to it.  The computer
should get no IP address (or a self-assigned one).

Message 6 of 7
TaNium
Aspirant

@antinode 

@plemans 

Thanks all for helping. All problems have been solved right now. I did put the router off untill now since I didn't want to look at it anymore. Yesterday I started looking at it again. I did a reset and configured everything again like I wanted it to be. The router (192.168.0.50) seems te be working fine now: I can acces ui on every pc in the network. The web page also gets recognized now in the ip scan. The problem where the network connection is dropping away is also solved. This was the fault of my ISP (probably something in the firmware of the modem). Sorry that I didn't respond for a few months. 

Best regards

TaNium

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7