promiscuous mode

droidus585
Aspirant

promiscuous mode

Is there a way to turn on promiscuous mode/mirrored port on the router?
Message 1 of 11

Re: promiscuous mode

It might help if you said what router you have in mind.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 11
droidus585
Aspirant

ac2600.

Message 3 of 11

@droidus585 wrote:

ac2600.

Afraid not. AC2600 is a wifi speed indicator, not a Netgear model number.

R7450? R7800?

model number

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

@droidus585 wrote:

ac2600.

Afraid not. AC2600 is a wifi speed indicator, not a Netgear model number.

There is an AC2600 model, too ... my friend.

Anyway, there is no supported port mirroring on these consumer routers. Some allow mirroring the WAN port to the LAN port #1 in the /debug.htm menu.

Message 5 of 11
droidus585
Aspirant

Nighthawk(R) X4S R7800

Message 6 of 11

Thanks.

It seems that Netgear is getting back to its bad old ways, confusing us all with model numbers. In the past couple of months it has released a handful of new devices with model numbers that derive from the wifi speed. The AC2600 now joins the AC2100 and AC2400, both of which are also labels you will find on several other models of routers, modems and extenders.

If the R7800 does not do natively what you want, there is a chance that one of the third-party firmware writers can help. As Netgear does not support these alternatives, and there aren't that many regular users here, your best bet is to track down one of those and see if it helps.

Just another user.

Message 7 of 11
myersw
Master

To add to what @michaelkenward said. I have in the past run DD-WRT and OpenWRT/LEDE on routers. They both work on the r7800, as have run both on them. The BIG caution is be sure you under how to get Netgear firmware reinstalled should you want to. I do not remember off hand how hard it was on the R7800 right now. Also, should you install 3rd party and want to try another 3rd party always reinstall the Netgear firmware then go to the 3rd party firmware you want to try. They write the firmware to install from Netgear not from some other 3rd party. I do not know if the 3rd party firmware does what you want or not. Good old days, you could grab a Ethernet hub (not switch) and listen on one of the other ports as all ports saw the traffic. If you start playing with 3rd party be prepared to having to open the router and do a serial connection to install firmware after a brick. 

I do not think Voxel's firmware does this as it is Netgear firmware with some fixes and a few things added, but promiscuous mode would be far down on any list of  his as few folks want/need it. 

Promiscuous mode requires this to be in the driver code and have hardware that supports that. This could limit your options as well.

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 8 of 11
droidus585
Aspirant

I was just going to ask, what do you recommend to install from 3-rd party.  I have a netgear WNDR3700v4, several years old, and was using dd-wrt on it.  

From what it sounds like, I am more hesitant now to install a 3rd party, if I decide I want to go back to the stock firmware image for the router.... 

Message 9 of 11

@droidus585 wrote:
....am more hesitant now to install a 3rd party, if I decide I want to go back to the stock firmware image for the router.... 

The answer is, before you install alternative firmware, to check the site for the third party firmware for clear instructions on how to roll back to the official firmware.

This is not information that you are likely to find anywhere here.

Just another user.

Message 10 of 11
myersw
Master

Should you want to pursue dd-wrt here is link to correct section for the r7800. You can create a user ID there and ask your questions. Should you go that direction, I would recommend Kong's builds over Brainslayer's as he loads and tests his builds. Brainslayer supports firmware for over 500 routers so no way can he test all. 

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=28

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E