Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

"Additional log on information may be required" - Cannot connect

Mystara2002
Aspirant

"Additional log on information may be required" - Cannot connect

My router has started stating that 'additional log on information may be required' for one of my windows laptops.  Whenever I click the link, it asks me to sign into the router as an admin.  

Additionally, if I try to visit a website, the router seems to intercept the request and instead asks me to log in as admin.  If I enter the login details, it just takes me to the router configuration page.  In either event, nothing else happens.  I am unable to connect to the internet.

The same laptop behaves normally with other routers, and other laptops behave correctly with this router.

I've already tried a hard reset.

Any ideas?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: "Additional log on information may be required" - Cannot connect

What modem are you connected to?

usually you get these types of errors when you're running a modem/router combo device and a router. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What modem are you connected to?

usually you get these types of errors when you're running a modem/router combo device and a router. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Message 2 of 7
Mystara2002
Aspirant

Yes, you could be right.

My r7800 (in AP mode) is connected to an r8000, which is in turn connected to a modem/router provided by my ISP.

Unfortunately, the modem/router does not have a bridge mode and I very recently turned on port forwarding for a server.  

I'm guessing my only option is to put the r8000 into bridge mode and effectively use my ISP's modem as the master?

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

@Mystara2002 wrote:

Yes, you could be right.

My r7800 (in AP mode) is connected to an r8000, which is in turn connected to a modem/router provided by my ISP.

Unfortunately, the modem/router does not have a bridge mode and I very recently turned on port forwarding for a server.  

I'm guessing my only option is to put the r8000 into bridge mode and effectively use my ISP's modem as the master?------I think you mean AP mode. 

If your isp doesn't allow modem only mode, its probably the easiest way. You can fight to make it work but simplicity is sometimes the best. 

Message 4 of 7

@Mystara2002 wrote:

A recipe for chaos. What is the make and model of the ISP's modem/router?

Message 5 of 7
Mystara2002
Aspirant

It's from plusnet, and I understand it's a rebadged home hub.  Not that that actually seems to help.  However, it seems to be fairly well established that it does not have a bridge mode.

I therefore bought a cheap TP link modem, which does have a bridge mode.  So far, things are looking a little more smooth and a bit less chaotic.  However, it'll be a few days before I can thoroughly test it.

Message 6 of 7

@Mystara2002 wrote:

I therefore bought a cheap TP link modem, which does have a bridge mode. 

Good move. DSL modems are getting hard to come by.

Maybe it is because Trump is putting the squeeze on Huawei.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7