Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: "Attached devices" and "Access Control" not working on Nighthawk X10

togatoga
Guide

"Attached devices" and "Access Control" not working on Nighthawk X10

Hoping someone can help before I give up and send this router back.  Router setup was routine.  I do not protect my home network with a password; rather I use a MAC access list, which worked with my previous Netgear router (WNDR8000).  I was able to access the "Attached Devices" link, and then the "Access Control" link through Netgear Genie.  I added one device to the access list, clicked "apply," and all seemed well.  An hour later, I went back to add another device to the access list.  I was unable to view the access list; I received the "please wait" message and the "processing" icon, and then the progress stopped and I was left with a blank page.  Now I can't even see attached devices; when I go to the"attached devices" link, it doesn't list any devices, and informs me that "access control is turned on" and provides a link to the access control page, which results in the aofrmentioned progress icon followed by a blank page.  Netgear support has proven to be unhelpful and unsuccessful.  Remedies tried:

Reboot router - no success

Reset router to factory conditions - no success

Re-update firmware - no success

Network seems to be operating well otherwise.  I can reach all other links in Netgear Genie except the aforementioned two.  But those two are critical.  Incidentally, I can see the list of attached devices from the Android phone app, but can't control the access list.  Has anyone out there had similar issues, or can anyone out there propose another solution?  I'd hate to return this router and switch manufacturers...

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 98

Accepted Solutions
bbaraniec
Luminary

@ChristineT @DarrenM I was able to change names and status from allowed to block and remove (null) devices.

Some of the devices had proper description as long as they were offine, as soon as they were connected to router the name was replaced with "n/a". In some cases I was able to fix the name in Access Control. In couple cases the name change was not being saved. In those cases I've used Connected Devices and the name was accepted.

Also changing device type in Connected Devices works. The Genie App still doesn't recognize the proper types of some devices. For example my iPhone type is set to iPhone and in Genie App is shown as Arlo.

That's it basically, both Access Control and Connected Devices are accessible again and working as intendet. Thanks.

View solution in original post

Message 68 of 98

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Firmware version - 1.0.4.2 or newer?

Message 2 of 98
togatoga
Guide

As I said (and as it shows in the JPG I attached), I updated (and re-updated at Netgear recommendation) to latest firmware - 1.0.4.2.  No success.  Also, issue exists on all 4 browsers I tried (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, IE).  Network discovery is enabled.  I have tried running the Netgear Genie from an Ethernet-connected Desktop running Windows 7, and from a wirelessly connected laptop running Windows 10.  Nothing has worked yet.

Message 3 of 98
schumaku
Guru

Hmpf, strange. That is one to investigate @ChristineT

Message 4 of 98
togatoga
Guide

Not that it matters to anyone else, but I have finally given up on the Nighthawk X10 and am returning it.  Today it completely dropped all connections and stopped broadcasting its network SSIDs.  Again, rebooting and resetting to factory conditions did nothing to address the issue.  While I wait to decide what my replacement will be (most likely ASUS AC3100), I have gone back to my old Netgear WNDR3800, which works for most purposes, but lacks enough LAN ports for my growing connection needs.  Disappointing, but these things happen.  It's possiblle this was a defective unit from the start and problems got progressively worse, but I don't want to take chances on replacing it with another Nighthawk X10.

Message 5 of 98
antinode
Guru

> [...] I have gone back to my old Netgear WNDR3800, which works for
> most purposes, but lacks enough LAN ports for my growing connection
> needs. [...]

Assuming that by "LAN" you mean wired/Ethernet, why wouldn't a simple
(cheap) Ethernet switch solve that problem?

Message 6 of 98
togatoga
Guide

Several reasons I chose not to attach a switch:

1. Simplicity of setup

2. WNDR3800 has a spotty reputation for handling a switch (per my admittedly limited Google research)

3. Additional features and signal strength of a new router

4. Additional USB 3.0 port on a new router

Thanks to all who responded.

Message 7 of 98
Smuttyfox
Aspirant

Also having the same issues with firmware V1.0.4.2. Access Control List and Attatched Devices worked fine until I updated the ACL. Since then it won't display either

Message 8 of 98
Smuttyfox
Aspirant

Further to this, I have tested with a factory reset of the device.

1. If you restore the backed up config, the problem persists

2. If you manually reconfigure the device, after updating the Access Control list, the problem re-occurs

I suspect the solution is to either wait for a firmware upgrade, or purchase a modem from another vendor

Message 9 of 98
Davidoo
Apprentice

I had the same problem with the Access Control list as well.  If I manually changed the name of the device the next time I went in I would just get a blank screen when trying to see the list of connected devices.  I started using Voxel's firmware and have never had a problem since.  This firmware gives me stability, the ability to name my devices and a higher signal strength than the Netgear firmware.  Here's a link.  He just had an update a couple of days ago.  

https://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/html/r9000.html

Message 10 of 98
togatoga
Guide

Sincere thanks for the information.  Just a tad too late - the X10 has been returned.  Nice to know there's more dependable firmware out there than Netgear's.  Just before I disconnected the router to return it, it stopped broadcasting any SSIDs, rendering it entirely useless for any function but a paperweight.  It's possible that was also a firmware glitch, or I suppose it's possible I received a defective device that gradually disintegrated over the three days it was in use.

Message 11 of 98
Smuttyfox
Aspirant

I updated the firmware, and problem persists. I think I need to wipre it, and manually re-add the devices into the Access Control List. Even tried downgrading firmwre, and Attached DEvices and Access Control lists both failed to display.
Message 12 of 98
Smuttyfox
Aspirant

I can confirm that regardless of firmware version, once you edit the Access Control List, the list goes blank. Tried with both the current and previous versions, along with the latest Voxel version. My modem/router will be returned for a refund. Will look at another brand now

Message 13 of 98
Smuttyfox
Aspirant

And it supports VDSL?

Message 14 of 98
ReignOfN8
Initiate

Another user here with the same issue
Message 15 of 98
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Exactly the same issue on my end.

I used my R9000 with DD WRT firmware from day 1, switched to official Netgear fwm for the sake of wifi speed & stuff, and can't understand how lame, slow and bad the official UI is

And worse, the access page is blank and never loading

such a shame

switching back to DD WRT... Well done netgear...

Message 16 of 98
AlienHand
Tutor

Mine is doing the exact same thing after upgrading to firmware v1.0.4.2.  I've tried rebooting, power cut and reloading the firmware over again - nothing changes.  All I get when I go to the Access Control screen is a blank page after it spins for a bit.

I had been utilizing this feature and had some devices identified for allow and block.  I wonder if that can help troubleshoot - the fact that some users had been using the feature versus those that hadn't?

Message 17 of 98
ChibiKev
Tutor

I have the same problem, where nothing shows up when clicking attached devices.

I also tried the many different firmwares but nothing seems to change 😕

Message 18 of 98
Smuttyfox
Aspirant

I returned mine to place of purchase, as Netgear do not offer any support after the first 30 days.

My solution is to use a cheap modem/router (supplied by ISP), and install a wifi access point. I only bought the Netgear device as I live in a large home and wanted to get better wifi coverage than the ISP supplied device offered

Message 19 of 98
W4DRA-Dave
Aspirant

I got the same thing here. I also downloaded the files from Voxel and it didn't help a thing. Same problem after tring to configuer the devices the menus are no longer to be able to display. 

Smiley Mad 

Dave

@Davidoo wrote:

I had the same problem with the Access Control list as well.  If I manually changed the name of the device the next time I went in I would just get a blank screen when trying to see the list of connected devices.  I started using Voxel's firmware and have never had a problem since.  This firmware gives me stability, the ability to name my devices and a higher signal strength than the Netgear firmware.  Here's a link.  He just had an update a couple of days ago.  

https://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/html/r9000.html

Message 20 of 98
moejoe
Initiate

Same problem here when accessing any page that involves the device name (i.e. Access Cotrol, LAN Setup -> Address Reservation, Attached Devices, ...).

The first time the problem occured was after an upgrade to the firmware version preceding 1.0.4.2, which btw almost bricked my X10 because of the issue of an interrupted WIFI during  the update process (this was another error in the Firmware, but which apparently was eliminated in 1.0.4.2).

The Netgear Support was not capable of providing a solution, but at that time a Factory Reset helped (with the current issue at least, not the almost bricked router, that was much trickier).

Unfortunately it happened again after I recently renamed a device. Only that now even after a Factory Reset the problem persists and I am no longer entitled to receive any support from Netgear (although the problem I am having dates back to the period where I was supposed to get support for my (our!) problem but it was obviously not solved)!

I bought the expensive Netgear Nighthawk X10 for the advertised performance and believed that at this price one can expect also good quality. Obviously I was wrong.

If any Netgear support people are reading this: please provide an updated firmware ASAP because this issue also affects the security of our networks!

Thank you !

Message 21 of 98
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Voxel firmware does not solve the issue for me

Message 22 of 98
ChibiKev
Tutor

So I got in contact with an assistant that worked with Netgear and they managed to get me the steps of how to solve the issue.

The first thing they told me to do was to update the firmware to a new version that I don't think have been released yet.

The download link for that is http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=vhvuk2W5Kr 
Download that and install it to your router, using a computer.

After it's successfully installed, go to your router and on the back off it reset it. It should be factory reset so that when you log onto your router, it would be just like new.

This was basically the steps I took in solving it.

Message 23 of 98
W4DRA-Dave
Aspirant

SO how long ago did you do this and is it still working ok? 

Is this a revison of the firmware that's not listed?

At this point I am a little skeptical of these upgredes.

Thanks 

Dave

Message 24 of 98
W4DRA-Dave
Aspirant

It didn't help me either other than to waste my time. And at my age it's scary..  lol

Message 25 of 98
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7