Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: "Attached devices" and "Access Control" not working on Nighthawk X10

ChibiKev
Tutor

I just did this, like 30 minutes ago. And yes, it is still working.
This was the firmware that Netgear managed to send me.
Capture.JPG

Message 26 of 98
W4DRA-Dave
Aspirant

Great I will let you know if it works out.

I have a lot of cameras and weather stations that need custom address's and

I have 5 computers here at the house, not to mention the TV's ect. 

Message 27 of 98
Smuttyfox
Aspirant

I tried multiple firmware versions, both official and unofficial. I went forward and back, did factory resets. Nothing worked enabling me to re-enter the over 50 mac addresses I have on my network. What I didn't try before returning the device for a refund, was controlling it via the phone app. I recommend you install the Netgear App on your phone, and see if that gives you control. If not, go get a Linksys, DLink, or TPLink device.
Message 28 of 98
W4DRA-Dave
Aspirant

ChibiKev 

Well so far so good. I did it after posting the last message and it too a while to put all the IP address's back in but I got the inportant one back in. I did save the config before the install but was afraid to use it because I didn't want to take the chance. Anyway thank you for your reply in this matter and the help. I will post an update in a week or less. Only thing I see is that the internet speeds are lower now. Before I was getting around 40Mbs now its about 15-20. I may have to tweak the settings again. VIASAT Sattelite Internet is real pickey.

Cheers

Dave

Message 29 of 98
Edwardlotz
Guide

I tried downloading the img file. It says is around 33 mgs but when it downloads I only get 2 k and I can’t open it. Anyone with thoughts on how to get this to work.
Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 30 of 98
W4DRA-Dave
Aspirant

Make sure you aren't clicking the link and telling it save as.

I just tried to upload it to you and it won't let me do it. It works 

because I just did it again. Must be on your side. What are your 

operating system and browser you are using?

Dave

Message 31 of 98
AlienHand
Tutor

This is frustrating.  I hope this/these issues eventually get fixed properly.  I wouldn't expect that every time I do a firmware upgrade that I have to do a factory reset.  When I see people here trying this beta release, wiping their router, only to find that it didn't fix the 'access control' issue, that makes me even more bothered.  I can just imagine how fun that is to have to manually edit and input evey setting you've ever made to take full advantage of this device.

Message 32 of 98
W4DRA-Dave
Aspirant

@W4DRA-Dave wrote:

ChibiKev 

Well so far so good. I did it after posting the last message and it too a while to put all the IP address's back in but I got the inportant one back in. I did save the config before the install but was afraid to use it because I didn't want to take the chance. Anyway thank you for your reply in this matter and the help. I will post an update in a week or less. Only thing I see is that the internet speeds are lower now. Before I was getting around 40Mbs now its about 15-20. I may have to tweak the settings again. VIASAT Sattelite Internet is real pickey.

Cheers

Dave

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Well it's been 10 days now and everything is running normal like it's supposed to.

I want to give a big thank you to ChibiKev  for the link.  

Also don't forget to do a factory reboot or reset before tring to use the router. Because after 

it said the firmware was updated and showed at the top right of the browser it did not act as 

it should. Make sure you save a copy of your settings before the factory reboot.

Everyone havd a great day.

Dave

Message 33 of 98
perepelov
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue and therefore tried accessing the the link provided, but the file apparently has been deleted since. Do you think I should contact the support to get it?

Message 34 of 98
bbaraniec
Luminary

I'm on the same boat. The access control remains blank, attached devices loads only header.

The mobile apps are still working and I was able to do some changes using Netgear Genie app. Anyone can share the beta firmware file?

I need badly access control working for me again.

Message 35 of 98
ChibiKev
Tutor

I managed to re-upload the firmware. Use this link:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/o1vbkwo4ogf3qlq/R9000-V1.0.4.3RC2_new.img

Message 36 of 98
bbaraniec
Luminary

Thank you for link, I was able to successfully update router. Unfortunately it did not fixed my issue. I assume that factory default is required which btw is very poor solution. Anyone tried to do backup, factory default and restore backup? Do we know if that will work?

Can we get some official response from Netgear?

Message 37 of 98
schumaku
Guru

@bbaraniec wrote:

Thank you for link, I was able to successfully update router. Unfortunately it did not fixed my issue. I assume that factory default is required which btw is very poor solution.

Can't agree more - however thats not a new complaint.

@@bbaranie wrote:

Anyone tried to do backup, factory default and restore backup? Do we know if that will work?

In my understanding, you will backup a potentially corrupted configuration, which might end on the backup storage complete or incomplete - restore will revert what the factory reset has hopefully fixed before. There is no validity checking, consistency testing, syntax check, whatever on these consumer devices.

@bbaraniec wrote:

Can we get some official response from Netgear?

@ChristineT@ please. Why ever, I can't add Alex using @....

Message 38 of 98
bbaraniec
Luminary

Is it possible to wipe Access Control config via telnet? Surerly better solution than factory defaults. Yeah we need a Netgear Engineer.

Message 39 of 98
ChibiKev
Tutor

The factory reset is required for it to take into effect. 

Message 40 of 98
bbaraniec
Luminary

What really bothers me:

1.0.4.2 is realesed 18th May 2018

First post in this topic is 4 days later. Over month later Netgear provides some hush hush RC firmware that prevents the issue if it still isn't broken.

Another month goes by and still no official release. How many users could have been "saved"? 

@ChibiKev are you Netgear employee? 

Message 41 of 98
ChibiKev
Tutor

I'm not, I'm just saying the procedures of solving the issues. 

If you read what I sent before, you would have seen that after you install the firmware, you have to reset your router. 

I also sent a screenshot of the Netgear representative that helped me solve the issue.

Message 42 of 98
bbaraniec
Luminary

Right, I got confused here somehow. Anyway, Netgear wants you to factory default every single firmware update. I'm still hoping this can be fixed without it. 

Message 43 of 98
W4DRA-Dave
Aspirant

I saved the image file just in case Netgear nukes me again. I can always fall back to it.

Now if they could fix the problem if the router dropping my securety cameras. It has to be in the router beacuse 

when I check the signal on the camera software it's 100%. I wish there was a way to put a outside antenna on the 

router but from what I understand the antennas are also amplified and I see no way to remove them with out breaking 

something.

Message 44 of 98
bbaraniec
Luminary

@ChristineT can we get some feedback from Netgear please?

Message 45 of 98
ChristineT
Admin

@bbaraniec, Thanks for the mention! Let me see what I can find out about this issue and get back to you. 

Message 46 of 98
schumaku
Guru

Thank you @ChristineT for chiming back. The problems far to many Nighthawk users in general, and specifically on the newest leading edge router models, is that a factory reset does commonly recover from this issue. However, new added devices to the network, and/or Web Genie based operations (ie. access control), and/or Genie App, and/or the Nightawk apps, and probably more does lead to the similar issue again. This does read to me like a inconsistent or non-existing validity checking of data, including the device names coming in from systems doing the DHCP process.

Message 47 of 98
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Has anyone tried to load the new firwmare factory reset and then load your config file back onto the device does this work? if not let me know.

DarrenM 

Message 48 of 98
Smuttyfox
Aspirant

Hi DarrenM, Before I took mine back for a refund, I tried the following: - Factory reset, load config from backup - Factory reset , manually reconfigure - Factory reset, downgrade firmware, load config from backup - Factory reset, downgrade firmware, manually load config - Factory reset, load opensource firmware, load config from backup - Factory reset, load opensource firmware, manually load config Solution, use cheap modem/router supplied by ISP and disable wifi. Install TP-Link AccessPoint. House now has full wifi coverage, and internet speeds at approx 95/35mbs. Download/Upload speeds were slightly better with the Nighthawk. Wifi coverage was better, but not being able to update the allowed list of MAC addresses made the device unusable. Regards, David
Message 49 of 98
bbaraniec
Luminary

@Smuttyfox at any point did you get access control to work?

Message 50 of 98
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7